Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodshop layout shuffle number 1-million......

Woodshop layout shuffle number 1-million......

Or at least it seems like the millionth time I’ve had to shuffle things around based on my growing shop and tool collection. Just thought I would share as it’s been a while since I’ve posted my shop. It’s a 22’x20’ garage and attached to our house via a small laundry room hallway. It has a built in storage loft for things like Christmas decorations and whatnot as we don’t have a usable attic space. Any tips or constructive critiques regarding layout and my shop are always welcome. Thanks and enjoy. Greg

p2998871972-3.jpg

p2998868617-3.jpg

p2998868949-3.jpg

p2998868594-3.jpg

p2998871985-3.jpg

p2998871991-3.jpg

p2998871984-4.jpg

p2998868604-3.jpg

Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-01-2018 at 7:49 PM.

Is that a 2 or 3 car garage?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

It’s a 2 car with a single double wide roll up door. All insulated with AC/heat. Wish it were 3 though. About 440 sq ft

First, you have done an impressive job getting 10 gallons of tools into a 5 gallon shop!

I tried to look at it critically but every move started a snowball of moves. The one thing I saw that would be easy is switching the sharpening station (tool box bottom) and lumber storage BUT then the lumber storage would be against the door. I would consider building a more narrow sharpening station on wheels to 1. protect your box from water and 2. be able to roll it up and have it next to the lathe in use. It could reside between the silver cabinet and the drum sander if you slide the cabinet down.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    First, you have done an impressive job getting 10 gallons of tools into a 5 gallon shop!

I tried to look at it critically but every move started a snowball of moves. The one thing I saw that would be easy is switching the sharpening station (tool box bottom) and lumber storage BUT then the lumber storage would be against the door. I would consider building a more narrow sharpening station on wheels to 1. protect your box from water and 2. be able to roll it up and have it next to the lathe in use. It could reside between the silver cabinet and the drum sander if you slide the cabinet down.
    Thank you. Funny you mention that. This is what prompted the move in first place. That tool box was sitting where clamp rack is and the tall silver cabinet was sitting where router table is. I just got the tormek and the cbn grinder setup in last few weeks so getting them setup prompted the shuffle. My first thought was to sell the large tool box and combine those tools into the other two red boxes and then create a smaller sharpen cart. Only item to note is that I plan to use tormek jigs with the grinder and it will take roughly 30” width to mount the tormek adapter bars on either side. I could probably get it down to a 30”x22” cart with the tormek on it also where the current cabinet is 56”x22” but it’s super heavy and hard to move. Regarding the wood rack I can’t really move it as it would impede the door from being able to open when needed. Thanks for the input. Will give it consideration.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-01-2018 at 8:25 PM.

Thin the herd. You probably have a lot of stuff not being used all the time which you may be able to build some storage against the ceiling. Also, I would get rid of the miter saw. I have always thought it was a must have tool in my shop, but now not so much, 1 trick pony. This is coming from a guy with 180 sq ft shop.

Thanks Bryan. I use my miter saw all the time. Would have a hard time without it I fear, even though many cuts could be done via other means. Did think about replacing my 6” jointer with a combo 12” jointer/planer machine but it wouldn’t free much space given the way I have my dewalt hinged to my outfeed table. Always a slow progression and evolution with a small chop though.

Greg. Do a project without the miter saw, you may be surprised how you can do without. I still have mine, but keep in the basement.

Geez. I think you have done a great job. Our shops are the same size and we have about the same amount of equipment. however, you have more bench space and more open floor space than I do, and I have to open my sliding doors to use my table saw or jointer/planer. I guess it is time to again rethink my use of space.

If you hang the clamps on the wall you can regain some floor space.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie May View Post
    Geez. I think you have done a great job. Our shops are the same size and we have about the same amount of equipment. however, you have more bench space and more open floor space than I do, and I have to open my sliding doors to use my table saw or jointer/planer. I guess it is time to again rethink my use of space.
    Thanks Bernie. It has taken me a lot of time designing and redesigning layout to get to this point. The best change was when I moved the table saw group to the middle. I can get a full 8’ sheet of ply through it lengthwise without opening the door if I roll the carts to the side, and can get nearly a full sheet sideways too but the lathe cuts into that space a little. Honestly though I rarely do an initial rip on the table saw and usually do a quick cut with my cordless M12 circular saw and the clean it on the table saw. My planer can handle about 10’ if needed, my jointer has about 12’ clearance and my miter saw can handle the most by running across the workbench and into the laundry room. I rarely cut items that long but occasionally do have boards or trim up to 12’. It has been a pretty functional space. And with recently moving my lathe to its current space to make room for lumber storage a few weeks ago I’m really still in the middle of that redesign started by piles of wood that I kept having to rotate around the room to work. I’m sure this won’t be the last redesign as some day I have to figure out a place to create some hand tool workspace for planes and the like. Will save that challenge for another day though.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    If you hang the clamps on the wall you can regain some floor space.
    Thanks Andy, I have toyed with that idea a bunch of times but haven’t been able to come up with enough wall space to mount them all. The loft eats up a bunch of my wall height but we can’t do without it. I’ve already cut into its storage space with my lumber rack and dust collector to allow pass through for those items. I haven’t ruled out putting clamps on the walls but will have to really think it through. Also will need to find a place for all of my turning blanks which reside on that cart too. What I have also been considering is mounting the shop vac in a central stationary spot with a 25 to 30 hose so it can reach around my space but not to take a chunk of floor space as it does now. Also trying to find a way to minimize the footprint of my welding cart but the large gas tank makes that one difficult as it won’t fit under anything. Regardless all something to think about.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-02-2018 at 8:08 AM.

Almost forgot that in addition to having around 300lbs of sand in the ballast box on my Laguna 18/36, I also had a bunch of scrap metal stashed in there. Makes that lathe sit at around 1,000 rock solid pounds but also gives me a place to keep scraps out of site. Anyway, I remembered I had some router stand parts in there from where I combined Jessem and Incra stands into a Franken stand. Looks like a perfect start to a sharpening cart for the CBN grinder and Tormek. May even be able to fit the 6” Baldor on there too. Will see what I can come up with.
    p3000336937-4.jpg

Its not not a perfect fit to the bolt holes but close enough to make something work I think.
    p3000389147-4.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-02-2018 at 4:43 PM.

Too much bench space I think. Maybe just one do-it-all Roubo or similar in the middle. First pass could be ditching the bench that the miter saw is on and build one of the rolling carts with flip up wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    Too much bench space I think. Maybe just one do-it-all Roubo or similar in the middle. First pass could be ditching the bench that the miter saw is on and build one of the rolling carts with flip up wings.
    You're the second person to say ditch the miter saw. If I removed that bench I would either loose that toolbox, or I’d have to put it on the base cabinet and keep that base cabinet. That said, I’m not sure how I would use that space given my layout. The bench by the table saw serves as an outfeed table. The table was my grandfathers and serves as an assembly table. Etc, etc.

In a a perfect world I’d have room for my PM66 but with an incra fence, my Oneida v3000 cyclone, a hammer 41 jointer/planer, an American beauty or oneway lathe, my large tool box with bench top, my wood storage rack, a mobile grinder cart, mobile router table, mobile drum sander and a real workbench.

Realistically im not too far off of that dream setup with a few more redesigns as time goes on. Will probably keep my current laguna 18/36 until my skill and needs warrant the “last lathe” purchase, but the combo jointer/planer is higher on my list.

Anyway, major redesign is a pain even though I’ve done it a few times now. However the feeling of not being finished is why I’ve not sealed the joints on my dust piping. Too many changes still being made.

Thanks for the input. Will give the miter saw and cabinet a rethink.