Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Woodshop layout shuffle number 1-million......

Thanks Julie.

Tonight I built another raised, vertical wood rack opposite the earlier one I made. Using materials on hand I actually framed that other one with a steel mattress frame and skinned it accordingly with wood. Worked great and got the wood off the concrete, protecting it from moisture and isolating it from any termite problems by keeping it off the wall. Didn’t have another mattress frame for this one so it’s made from 3/4” plywood with plastic marine wood feet and secured to the wall with steel L brackets. Again, no wood touching floor or the concrete riser under the drywall. Hard to believe but I managed to get 95% of that wood I took in trade in there. It’s a lot of board feet and it’s all nice hardwoods.

p3068711019-4.jpg

p3068710920-4.jpg

Here is the rack on the opposite side
    p2998871991-3.jpg

Didn’t buy a new slider saw (yet) but did pick up a few other goodies in addition to the Hammer A3-31 and Nova Voyager.
    p3068711050-4.jpg

p3068711077-4.jpg

p3068711102-4.jpgts

Lastly, I’m just so happy with how things are coming together with the space and my new tools. Still have power lines to run to my drill and bandsaw, and some items to get out to bulk trash pickup and/or storage but I’m darn close to having it basically finished and ready to go back to work. Once back in use I’ll have some projects to build that include a hand tool cabinet and other shop storage items but those will take time to get to. Lots of other projects waiting in the wings too.

This process has been painful but is paying off and I can see light at the end of the tunnel finally.

p3068711152-4.jpg

p3068711146-4.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-14-2018 at 10:38 PM.

That new lumber rack is "retail worthy"! LOL Very nice job. I wish I had the headroom to do vertical racks...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That new lumber rack is "retail worthy"! LOL Very nice job. I wish I had the headroom to do vertical racks...
    Thanks. I was looking at the wasted space on the other one due to the dividers. Think I’ll remove all but the end one and squeeze the lumber closer together. Will probably open up room for one more row.

It's a good thing I don't know where you live or I'd come over there and start using that nice, clean, orderly shop of yours!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    It's a good thing I don't know where you live or I'd come over there and start using that nice, clean, orderly shop of yours!
    He, he, he. Come on over.

working on some stairs airs for my kids loft bed today and realized the band saw has to move. It blocks access to some longer cuts. Think if I swap it and the drill press that may do it though as I can raise and lower the drill press table as needed.

Working with large 20” wide pieces has rekindled my list for a slider saw. I can see the benefit to a slider with support on these types of panels and larger. Would sure help making them square more easily too. Anyway, for now I. Making it happen with what I have. Can’t wait for next Friday thou as it’s bulk trash pick up and I can get all the excess pipe, hose, pallets and crates out of here and actually have access to my assembly table.

I miss my miter saw already. Breaking down lumber with a cordless circular saw before cutting again on the table saw sucks. Only have to do this when making initial cuts on the long stuff (8’ to 10’) but it still sucks. A small 10” sliding miter would be handy for surebut don’t yet know if I have anywhere to make it fit. Ugh.

And, looking at the slider table saws more I can’t help but think they might take less space than my 52” cabinet saw with outfeed table setup. Right now I can run 8’ through it long ways and can split 8’ material sideways. Seems like something like the Hammer K3 79x48 would take less space to do the same thing, no?

You can go much smaller to the right of the blade with the slider, so the saw body would be re-positioned a little from current...most of the work you do will have the material on the left side of the blade and yes, you can still do longer rips the traditional way, although your physical position will likely be different for those cuts. You can reduce the number of times you need/want to do that by breaking down stuff to shorter components and then using the slider wagon with a parallel jig or Friz 'N Franz jig to rip them without using the fence...glue-line ready, too, assuming you've flattened and thicknessed the material first.
    --

You can go much smaller to the right of the blade with the slider, so the saw body would be re-positioned a little from current...most of the work you do will have the material on the left side of the blade and yes, you can still do longer rips the traditional way, although your physical position will likely be different for those cuts. You can reduce the number of times you need/want to do that by breaking down stuff to shorter components and then using the slider wagon with a parallel jig or Friz 'N Franz jig to rip them without using the fence...glue-line ready, too, assuming you've flattened and thicknessed the material first.
    Thats what I’m thinking. I’ve made huge progress in here with the purge but still have a ways to go. Would be next year before I could swing the slide saw but I’m still moving that direction I think. Haven’t pinned down brand but for sure minimax or hammer in the largest capacity I can fit comfortably.

My current storage stair project is basically construction grade pine/spruce material. Not running it through the jointer/planer. Just building it quick, down and dirty but covering any issues during finishing since it’s painted. Only non-painted material will be cypress accent pieces that were already dimensioned and prepped. It’s a behemoth at 60”x24”x50” not counting the stair rail. The bulk is what’s causing me issues moving around right now.

p3071052239-2.jpg

p3071052168-2.jpg

To your mention of a slider and a miter saw, I see both as part of a well thought out work shop. On my Delta table saw I have the Delta sliding table attachment I use a lot. It can act as sort of a mini slider for pieces up to around 30". To be able to do that on longer pieces would be a dream. As for my miter saw, it's a go to tool. But I don't see a slider in the future unless we move. There is just no room for one.

Bulk trash pick up is Friday so I can get the nova voyager crate out of here and out from under my assembly table then. Once its gone I can do a little more shuffling and at that point I’m going to find a spot to fit in a sliding miter setup. Not as big as my prior miter station and something mobile. May even use one of the contractor location type stands/carts for simplicity. My immediate thoughts on location are to put it in front of one of the vertical wood racks. Seems to make sense as a good spot to initially break down material.

I need to shuffle around the bandsaw and drill press locations as well after realizing the new band saw location interfered with the table saw capacity. Hoping to have it all ironed out by end of year. Yes, year, because it takes forever to work through this stuff when you only have a few hours here and there in the shop.

Will have better idea by weekend on what I can fit.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-19-2018 at 1:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Yes, year, because it takes forever to work through this stuff when you only have a few hours here and there in the shop.
    Coulda fooled me! With all you've accomplished in such a short time, I thought you were in the shop full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I miss my miter saw already. Breaking down lumber with a cordless circular saw before cutting again on the table saw sucks. Only have to do this when making initial cuts on the long stuff (8’ to 10’) but it still sucks. A small 10” sliding miter would be handy for surebut don’t yet know if I have anywhere to make it fit. Ugh.

And, looking at the slider table saws more I can’t help but think they might take less space than my 52” cabinet saw with outfeed table setup. Right now I can run 8’ through it long ways and can split 8’ material sideways. Seems like something like the Hammer K3 79x48 would take less space to do the same thing, no?
    I have the 31" rip capacity slider. I don't need anything larger. It takes up less space than the cabinet saw, and the slider supports long stuff so you have abuilt in outfeed table that doesn't waste shop space. I do have a 32" long outfeed extension that's only on the machine when working with really long solid timber or when I'm using the shaper for long items.

I break down rough timbers on it because a slider is great at cross cutting longer objects. I also straight line it and rip to a bit oversize while it's rough. No point jointing and planning the firewood.

No need for a miter saw.................Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 09-26-2018 at 12:40 PM.

I’m still struggling with my layout. Ugh.

Getting ready to make some more shifts and moves to improve upon my initial shuffle started with this thread. Lathe has to move. Bandsaw and drill press have to move. Router table and drum sander have to move. And assembly table has to move. LOL.

Pretty much everything except the table saw island and jointer/planer needs to be moved to improve fit and flow.

And this surprises you? LOL (you'll change it again in the future, too...nature of the beast )
    --

And this surprises you? LOL (you'll change it again in the future, too...nature of the beast )
    No, not really, but I want to have it at least 80% worked out and stationary. I hate having to move large tools around to use them so finding a layout that lets me cover most of my operations helps. Before getting the new J/P I had a pretty workable layout that didn’t require to many moves but it did limit table saw capacity. Flipping the table saw helps but still more to figure out. LOL