Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Woodshop layout shuffle number 1-million......

Yea, I understand. I'm seriously contemplating a small change in my own shop that while taking up a little more space, it will allow me to better use the CNC for a particular type of project that I'm going to be working on...hopefully with some frequency.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Little update to this post. The shuffle is still going on. I move slow. As many have seen over the past few months I somewhat fell into a heck of a deal on a Felder KF500 Pro, and then a trade deal on a very nice Minimax MM16. Well, that’s almost where the story ends except I’ve been working to once again change dust collection and power to fit. So, today was a big win as after being on the road all week for work I came home to get a new 20 amp 240v circuit installed to dedicate and isolate my Oneida dust collector, and then added a 30 amp 240v circuit to my sub-panel for the minimax. This gives me capacity for everything I have now, including the new bandsaw, and frees a circuit to run a 240v power feeder for my shaper once I get one.

Has as been a heck of an upgrade year and I hope to have everything situated by the end of this week so I can get back to work. Will require some new learning curve but I think my shop is moving to a new level.

Almost every facet of my shop has been upgraded this past year. Just wanted to share my excitement.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 02-09-2019 at 5:16 PM.

Great Shop Greg, and exciting year of upgrades
    ...But, I'm not sure you have any room for that large shoulder plane I sent you today.....
    enjoy..

Thanks Bill. Forgot to reply to your post above.

Dont laugh but but this is still going on thanks to my snail like pace, and some major equipment changes over last few months. The bandsaw prompted some electrical due to 30amp needs, and the slider saw needed space. So, once again I shuffled the layout to what I think will be a workable plan allowing space for everything I have and leaving room for a proper workbench soon too.

Center saw setup underway with room for full slider movement (81” slide) and full sheet plywood width wise.
    7E4E9D89-0BCC-4230-9BCB-4358A5E4125F.jpg

Have a bunch of items on order to move this forward including 4 more Lee valley 6” blast gates, a power feeder bracket and power feeder, etc. I’m going to have to compact my two wood racks into one and that will allow me to space out the lathe and jointer/planer as well.

Anyway, still moving forward and hope to have a finished setup to share in more detail soon. Then it will be time to focus on a workbench.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 02-25-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Close to the same size as my shop. I have more windows so wall space is a premium.

I vote to get rid of the miter and use a cordless circ instead to rough cut longer pieces.

I would get a shorter tablesaw fence. Previous had a 26" fence and it did everything. The slider... it might depend on whether you leave the outrigger on or not.

My shop orients in 'lanes' all facing the door. When planning something longer, or making longer cuts on the TS or bandsaw, it means lifting the door. This is by design and anything under 6ft clears. Otherwise... every little space counts. I have seen clamp racks overhead mounted (laying horizontally on pipes hung from the ceiling).

Oops, just saw your latest post with the upgrades. Fantastic!
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 02-25-2019 at 3:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Oops, just saw your latest post with the upgrades. Fantastic!
    thanks Carl. I’m probably only humoring myself by posting the progress updates, and equipment changes certainly derailed the progress I had made through end of last year. However, once I get this all worked out again, the new shop and equipment should be a nice improvement.

Regarding the direction, I used to have everything oriented towards the big door and honestly with the AC running I never opened it and rarely cut anything over 8’. Trying to recognize that with the new layout. Given only 440 sq ft I’m sure this won’t be the final adjustment required as my shop, projects and future interests evolve.

Finally figured out how to adapt my over blade dust collection 3” hose in a way that I can quickly disconnect to swing it all out of the way. It’s not ideal but will work just fine in my hobby setting and any stuck items can be easily cleared. Moving slow as molasses but every step forward is a good one.

4EE28923-4B9D-4B00-BE0B-2D4F839B98AB.jpg

A5164089-11F4-4211-BCD5-51A977E7B94D.jpg

83FE9E6C-46BC-4DE6-B35B-0C810E8F8B0E.jpg

Next up is to finish the drop that serves the table saw cabinet and drill press collection, then I’m ready to get dust collection back operating until I can get the lathe and J/P positions finalized. Today’s task though other than the saw dust collection is to grab some brackets to store all the slider components when they are not in use.

Still planning to try to compact the two wood racks down to one, and planning to build a workbench now that I think I’ve decided on a modified Nicholson style bench (I think).

Red face

FINALLY

I’m almost embarrassed to tell that I went through one more shuffle to make room for our golf cart to fit in the garage also. So, after roughly one year of changes and shuffles I finally have the shop back together. I have one more item in-bound which is an Armour Tool bench to use for my clamping table, sanding table, tracksaw table, sharpening table and general rolling table as needed. I’m still working on my on-wall tool storage racks but have made a lot of progress and am finally back to making some things.

It took a year year due to other demands on my time but I’m very glad I went through this process as I shed a bunch of items that were not needed and upgraded some equipment along the way. Looking forward to the coming years working with my new layout. Of course I can back the golf cart out to utilize more space and to use my full sliding saw capability. Mind you the right side of my slider is cut down to 32” but the left side gets full reach with the golf cart out.

Please go easy on me with the critiques but of course I do welcome input.

FC0CE4E7-9978-48E5-B657-81D4D3CE1E12.jpg

A3F96458-2165-4438-96A5-17D45B96BCB8.jpg

7DF70E8A-0220-40F7-94F0-129A5D273913.jpg

E0649E61-990A-4C71-A813-320C91B5F70A.jpg

453D2A44-C46D-4863-A7D3-6BC7823E1A45.jpg

3CAC3A05-69DB-4D8F-941A-FDDB89A48230.jpg

6E6A76DB-6FBC-42CA-9BDE-7F5CFDA029FB.jpg

It's a nice thing when the plan finally comes together!
    --

Figured I would share a few more pictures that better show the increased work space when the golf cart is out of the garage. So much more open and functional than when I started this thread last year. Took these while working in there this weekend.

B6D75BC7-2AA4-4B71-8C91-084CA56E13B9.jpg

1F46D401-6495-42BB-83A7-9CBAF44F0C89.jpg

0F96E9BF-8B8D-419E-BD66-F3BF0E1B0D03.jpg

D3C0F60B-6B15-4A28-9597-6CEF3A05AAA9.jpg

B68AFC5A-D0D9-4F84-A8A1-B300ACAA677A.jpg

8F288F27-8B87-4DE0-A3D7-263BE2404CA8.jpg

Looks good, Greg!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Looks good, Greg!
    Thanks Jim. It’s amazing to me when I look at my pictures from last August. I had so much stuff packed in that while it was functional it was hard to move. I gave up a lot of tool storage and bench space with the shuffle, but it forced me to better organize the remaining tool storage and to better manage bench space. Before the bench tops became catch all’s and I was less likely to prioritize and manage items stored in all those cabinets. Now, while I have less bench space, I have much more function and the ability to spread out and work with larger materials when needed.

In the pictures my work bench is covered with wood but that is not normal as I moved it there temporarily as I managed to work my pallet jack into a position that slides under my wood rack and sits in dead space. I don’t use it often so it needed a good home out of the way. All of that wood will go back in front of the wood rack until used.