Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Woodshop layout shuffle number 1-million......

Looking good Greg! I’ve moved my ducts around a few times. Definitely no fun.

I've also had to make duct work modifications over the years...nature of the beast. It's a pain while you're doing it, but the end result will help you forget the work happened. My next modification may be "more fun" since it will likely entail sending a drop to the upstairs of my shop building as I'm considering relocation of my lathe up there for space reclamation purposes and don't want to give up the DC for sanding and don't want to put a separate small DC up there, although I may ultimately just do that anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

At a stopping point for dinner. Have the table saw, air compressor and the jointer/planer almost ready to go. Need to get a fernco adapter for JP and need to run a hose to the table saw bottom port, but otherwise these are all functional. Next up is the dust tubing over to the band saw and drill press location. From there I’m pretty much back up and running. Will have some house keeping items to come back to of course.

Added storage underneath the saw. To explain the really long 4” hose running to the shark guard on the saw, it is pulled up via a rope on a pulley and the reason for this is that when I route or drum sand, this rope is given slack and this hose reaches around the shop to service those mobile tools. Goofy, I know, but works well.
    p3059343397-4.jpg

Hard to see but tucked compressor underneath behind the cabinet. No more than I run my compressor it will be fine in there. Still plenty of air flow around the compressor and it’s fan.
    p3059343383-3.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-10-2018 at 10:57 AM.

You do really nice work, Greg. I enjoy watching this remodel unfold. I noticed the metallic strip in the DC duct. Nice touch!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    You do really nice work, Greg. I enjoy watching this remodel unfold. I noticed the metallic strip in the DC duct. Nice touch!
    Thanks and funny. When I first put that pipe up I went to the trouble to run bare copper though the interior. Cut any static but tangled saw cut offs that fell in and planer shavings. Had straight blades then. During a redo I removed the wire and ran the aluminum hvac tape through everything making sure it overlapped and touched at each junction. Don’t think it worked very well not enough metal and the connections didn’t connect as planned. Anyway during this redo I find that all the tape does is collect fine sawdust powder. Would love to pull it out but not worth the time. Once the dust covers it, it stops collecting. Just on the surface.

when I’m done this t8me I’ll wrap bare copper wire around the outside connecting to the dust collector, each tool and each metal gate. This will drain any static charges, especially on the planer.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-10-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Are you sure that the adhesive on the foil tape isn't isolating things at the overlaps? On my CNC drop which necessarily has a 20" or so piece of PCV at the hood (my duct work is all metal), I did put tape on there, but it's only to secure the wrap of copper wire that completes the grounding and drain all the way to the pickup point. I use foil tape for sealing and joining sections of duct, however...it's great stuff.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    when I’m done this t8me I’ll wrap bare copper wire around the outside connecting to the dust collector, each tool and each metal gate. This will drain any static charges, especially on the planer.
    I did that in my last shop where I had DWV pipe for the DC ductwork. Didn't work very well though. Static on the pipe exterior attracted a lot of dust. That's why I switched to metal in the new shop.

Jim, No, not sure but the way I had it was to roll the tape over and out of each end so that the foil parts overlapped rather than the adhesive backing. Regardless it didn’t work well. Once I have a for sure permanent setup I would consider replacing my pvc with nordfab but I’ve made so many layout changes as my shop has grown it would have been a mistake to start that way since I don’t have a large open space to work with.

Didn’t do much this evening but got some more pipe suspended and have it ready to add the drop for the bandsaw and drill press stations.
    p3065133877-4.jpg

My workshop buddy came to see what the noise was after I sliced my finger on the plumbers tape and yelled.
    p3065133964-3.jpg

Got the hose connected to the JP. Also realized that I didn’t tighten the bolts on the rail that the fence mounts too. Need to circle back to that before use. Doh!
    p3064705278-3.jpg
    p3065133933-4.jpg

And the Nova Voyager showed up today. Will tackle getting it cleaned up and assembled on the Portamate 3500 tomorrow night.
    p3065133935-4.jpg

“My workshop buddy came to see what the noise was after I sliced my finger on the plumbers tape and yelled.“

The pup isn’t used to hearing girly sounds in the shop eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    “My workshop buddy came to see what the noise was after I sliced my finger on the plumbers tape and yelled.“

The pup isn’t used to hearing girly sounds in the shop eh.
    ha! Pretty much. That stinking metal tape got me good in 3 spots so I did squeal pretty loud. LOL

You know the shop buddy didn't care if you were hurt, he was just checking to make sure his dinner would be on time.

So tonight I mostly finished the dust duct work. Need one 4” 45 degree piece and I ordered a section of hose to reach over to the drill press. That said, I also got the drill press assembled on the portamate 3500 base. Not sure I’ll leave it on a mobile base as I think I preferred it fixed on the ground but will give it a try first on the base. Had to stand on my outfeed table to lift it onto the post while my wife helped steady everything. That puppy was heavy.

Few pictures of my progress through tonight. Still have items to finish and sort out but was able to use the table saw tonight with dust extraction so that is a step forward.

p3066960535-3.jpg

p3066960548-3.jpg

p3066960554-3.jpg

Unfortunately, the ridged sander can’t stay here. The spindle bolt sticks out too far and catches your leg when you walk by sometimes.
    p3066960693-3.jpg

So so at this point, I need to add power connections for the drill and band saw, pick up a 45 degree adapter for the band saw dust collection connection, take the 90 degree pipe out of the lathe dust collection and slightly rework the way this interacts with the lathe, and lastly build a second vertical lumber rack opposite the one I built a few months back for additional wood storage.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-13-2018 at 8:14 PM.

Your transformation already speaks to better space available for actual woodworking! Nice job!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    That said, I also got the drill press assembled on the portamate 3500 base.
    p3066960535-3.jpg
    That base looks pretty nice (haven't opened the box yet). The one I have on my drill press.... well, I can't write what I'm thinking, but it's bad. Maybe I'll replace it with the 2500. Problem is, like you say, that puppy is HEAVY!

Looks like your shop is coming along quite nicely.