Thread: New Dust Collection System

New Dust Collection System

I have a small basement shop (300 sq ft) that I am installing a dust collection system in. I will only connect one tool at a time, bandsaw, router table, 13" planer, drill press, and 3HP table saw. I bought a Grizzly G0548ZP D.C. and have run two main branches that are 6" PVC. All my drop downs are 4" PVC with about 3' of 4" flex to connect to each tool. I also bought a Oneida SDD XL and I've run 6" PVC btw it and the Grizzly D.C. The D.C. spec capacity is 1700 CFM. I see a lot of talk about problems with the D.C. being undersized. I know people suggest 5" or 6" drops to a table saw or planer but I'm leary about modifying the port size on the table saw (4") and the router has a blower in it to assist the D.C. I also plan on making a sanding D.C. box which I would run a 4" flex line to. I also want to tap into the 4" drop to the table saw and come off with a 2" flex to a blade guard (homemade). I am venting into the basement and I also run an overhead JET AFS-1000B filtration unit. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

P.S. I plan on taping PVC connections with elastic tape from Rockler. Connections to machine ports will also be reinforced with self tapping screws. Is it a problem if screw protrudes into duct a small amount, say 1/8" ?
    Last edited by Daniel Boddy; 09-04-2019 at 11:04 AM.