Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodshop layout shuffle number 1-million......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Woodshop layout shuffle number 1-million......

Or at least it seems like the millionth time I’ve had to shuffle things around based on my growing shop and tool collection. Just thought I would share as it’s been a while since I’ve posted my shop. It’s a 22’x20’ garage and attached to our house via a small laundry room hallway. It has a built in storage loft for things like Christmas decorations and whatnot as we don’t have a usable attic space. Any tips or constructive critiques regarding layout and my shop are always welcome. Thanks and enjoy. Greg

p2998871972-3.jpg

p2998868617-3.jpg

p2998868949-3.jpg

p2998868594-3.jpg

p2998871985-3.jpg

p2998871991-3.jpg

p2998871984-4.jpg

p2998868604-3.jpg

Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-01-2018 at 7:49 PM.

Is that a 2 or 3 car garage?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

It’s a 2 car with a single double wide roll up door. All insulated with AC/heat. Wish it were 3 though. About 440 sq ft

First, you have done an impressive job getting 10 gallons of tools into a 5 gallon shop!

I tried to look at it critically but every move started a snowball of moves. The one thing I saw that would be easy is switching the sharpening station (tool box bottom) and lumber storage BUT then the lumber storage would be against the door. I would consider building a more narrow sharpening station on wheels to 1. protect your box from water and 2. be able to roll it up and have it next to the lathe in use. It could reside between the silver cabinet and the drum sander if you slide the cabinet down.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    First, you have done an impressive job getting 10 gallons of tools into a 5 gallon shop!

I tried to look at it critically but every move started a snowball of moves. The one thing I saw that would be easy is switching the sharpening station (tool box bottom) and lumber storage BUT then the lumber storage would be against the door. I would consider building a more narrow sharpening station on wheels to 1. protect your box from water and 2. be able to roll it up and have it next to the lathe in use. It could reside between the silver cabinet and the drum sander if you slide the cabinet down.
    Thank you. Funny you mention that. This is what prompted the move in first place. That tool box was sitting where clamp rack is and the tall silver cabinet was sitting where router table is. I just got the tormek and the cbn grinder setup in last few weeks so getting them setup prompted the shuffle. My first thought was to sell the large tool box and combine those tools into the other two red boxes and then create a smaller sharpen cart. Only item to note is that I plan to use tormek jigs with the grinder and it will take roughly 30” width to mount the tormek adapter bars on either side. I could probably get it down to a 30”x22” cart with the tormek on it also where the current cabinet is 56”x22” but it’s super heavy and hard to move. Regarding the wood rack I can’t really move it as it would impede the door from being able to open when needed. Thanks for the input. Will give it consideration.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-01-2018 at 8:25 PM.

Thin the herd. You probably have a lot of stuff not being used all the time which you may be able to build some storage against the ceiling. Also, I would get rid of the miter saw. I have always thought it was a must have tool in my shop, but now not so much, 1 trick pony. This is coming from a guy with 180 sq ft shop.

Thanks Bryan. I use my miter saw all the time. Would have a hard time without it I fear, even though many cuts could be done via other means. Did think about replacing my 6” jointer with a combo 12” jointer/planer machine but it wouldn’t free much space given the way I have my dewalt hinged to my outfeed table. Always a slow progression and evolution with a small chop though.

Greg. Do a project without the miter saw, you may be surprised how you can do without. I still have mine, but keep in the basement.

Geez. I think you have done a great job. Our shops are the same size and we have about the same amount of equipment. however, you have more bench space and more open floor space than I do, and I have to open my sliding doors to use my table saw or jointer/planer. I guess it is time to again rethink my use of space.

If you hang the clamps on the wall you can regain some floor space.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Looking good Greg! I’ve moved my ducts around a few times. Definitely no fun.

I've also had to make duct work modifications over the years...nature of the beast. It's a pain while you're doing it, but the end result will help you forget the work happened. My next modification may be "more fun" since it will likely entail sending a drop to the upstairs of my shop building as I'm considering relocation of my lathe up there for space reclamation purposes and don't want to give up the DC for sanding and don't want to put a separate small DC up there, although I may ultimately just do that anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

“My workshop buddy came to see what the noise was after I sliced my finger on the plumbers tape and yelled.“

The pup isn’t used to hearing girly sounds in the shop eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    “My workshop buddy came to see what the noise was after I sliced my finger on the plumbers tape and yelled.“

The pup isn’t used to hearing girly sounds in the shop eh.
    ha! Pretty much. That stinking metal tape got me good in 3 spots so I did squeal pretty loud. LOL