Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Not impressed with new SawStop ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    For what it's worth, the table on the PM2000 is junk, too. It's made out of particleboard and the legs are held on by tiny little screws in said particleboard. Mine wasn't even close to flat, either.
    While the one on my PM2000 was flat it was still flimsey in the big picture. I added some more bracing under the table and put a sheet of ply on the underside (sorta torsion box style). I would love to have one of the cast tables like Woodwerks did for their "PM 2066" custom saws but they stopped doing it right before I got my saw and the company that made the tables (Quality Grinding?) ceased operations. Funny enough I got a great deal on my saw because it was one built to go to Woodwerks and they had Baldor motors instead of Taiwanese ones which I guess makes it one of the last saws PM made with any American content.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yeah, i always wanted a PM72 with one of those giant CI wings. Oddly enough theres a local guy selling a 3 phase 72 with TWO cast iron extensions. The post has been up for a month and i look at it occasionally. Dont particularly want to endure the hassle of selling my unisaw and then ripping that one apart. I must be getting lazy if having to move two cabinet saws is enough of a reason not to do something.

The SS ICS comes with an extension table. That's nice. I had to build one for my Unisaw... twice.

Sell it for half price. I'm sure someone ELSE would be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    My opinion is that the ICS makes for a good hobbyist saw but not worthy of it being called an industrial cabinet saw.
    Without the stop parts, the saw is just another mediocre Asian tablesaw

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Sell it for half price. I'm sure someone ELSE would be happy.
    I thought that they hold there value but it looks like you don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I thought that they hold there value but it looks like you don't think so.
    Was he referring to the ext table or the saw? Old ICSs are seen sold at 50% of their prices here; new ICSs should fetch a lot more.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Was he referring to the ext table or the saw? Old ICSs are seen sold at 50% of their prices here; new ICSs should fetch a lot more.

Simon
    I think Kyle was just being funny.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Me think so, too.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Me think so, too.

Simon
    If he lived in Arizona (near the OP) instead of an island in the middle of the Pacific I might think he was being devious vs comedic.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    A classic example of a statement lacking tone or inflection, (never mind body language), and being able to interpret it multiple ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Without the stop parts, the saw is just another mediocre Asian tablesaw
    I'd say it's pretty close to the top-end of Asian table saws. It's not a piece of factory equipment suitable for continuous duty cycle production line work (and I can't imagine any informed buyer expecting it to be), but it's well beyond the run-of-the-mill Asian import in terms of fit and finish, quality and ruggedness.

The top of the middle is still the middle

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I'd say it's pretty close to the top-end of Asian table saws. It's not a piece of factory equipment suitable for continuous duty cycle production line work (and I can't imagine any informed buyer expecting it to be), but it's well beyond the run-of-the-mill Asian import in terms of fit and finish, quality and ruggedness.
    I am guessing Martin is not saying the SS is mediocre among Asian saws, just that all Asians saws are mediocre, which from his POV makes sense.

From a professional/commercial POV it is hard not to consider all Asian saws as mediocre given in that world Martin and upper level Altendorf saws are the gold standard.

Well Marin replied as I was typing and confirmed my suspicions

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Was the extension table your only issue?
    Just to get the list started ... The top on the main body of the saw is bowed from front to back while both cast iron extensions are cupped. I don't see the lack of flatness bad enough to affect cut accuracy but I expected better. The amount of plastics used in the construction of the saw is disappointing, especially the swing away gate that is part of the dust collection shroud. The hose connecting the shroud and exterior hose connection is plastic ribbed not metal ribbed. The brackets for wrench and miter gauge storage are made out of flimsy, thin metal. The electrical terminal box will only accept 12 gauge wire relief strain connections while the connections inside the saw are larger. That one still puzzles me.