Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Not impressed with new SawStop ICS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Not impressed with new SawStop ICS

The new finger saving technology aside I'm not impressed with my new SawStop ICS with a 5hp motor. The saw is definitely quieter than my previous Unisaw and Jet cabinet saw but the overall build quality was less than what I expected in an industrial tool. I was also disappointed with the included 52" extension table, which is much flimsier than my previous tables framed using hardwood. The SawStop frame was all made out of softwood. My opinion is that the ICS makes for a good hobbyist saw but not worthy of it being called an industrial cabinet saw.

In the end, it is just a name, a model designation. You can't really consider any 10" saw as "industrial", most 12/14" saws are "just" commercial level. The ICS fairs well compared to its actual competition (new Uni and PM2000).

This is the type of saw I think of when I think of an industrial cabinet saw.

DSC_0166.jpg
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 08-01-2018 at 4:52 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    In the end, it is just a name, a model designation. You can't really consider any 10" saw as "industrial", most 12/14" saws are "just" commercial level. The ICS fairs well compared to its actual competition (new Uni and PM2000).

This is the type of saw I think of when I think of an industrial cabinet saw.

DSC_0166.jpg
    Ha, should have cropped out the non-industrial bench top planer .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Ha, should have cropped out the non-industrial bench top planer .
    It is the Norfield's afternoon snack, gotta keep the strength up I suppose. It is an odd juxtaposition though, I just grabbed the first big saw pic I found.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Northfield was considered on the lighter end of " Industrial" back then so you know how far the marketing hype has stretched. Dave

Blog Entries
    I agree that comparing a saw costing under $5k to actual industrial woodworking equipment is falling for the marketing term bit hard. It fares well against the competition at the tier it resides in.

That being said, the extension is all for looks and the weakest part of Saw Stops design. I will replace the 'Chinese Balsa Wood' frame with some white oak scraps the next time I do routine maintenance to that part of the shop.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-01-2018 at 5:32 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Was the extension table your only issue?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Was the extension table your only issue?
    Just to get the list started ... The top on the main body of the saw is bowed from front to back while both cast iron extensions are cupped. I don't see the lack of flatness bad enough to affect cut accuracy but I expected better. The amount of plastics used in the construction of the saw is disappointing, especially the swing away gate that is part of the dust collection shroud. The hose connecting the shroud and exterior hose connection is plastic ribbed not metal ribbed. The brackets for wrench and miter gauge storage are made out of flimsy, thin metal. The electrical terminal box will only accept 12 gauge wire relief strain connections while the connections inside the saw are larger. That one still puzzles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    The electrical terminal box will only accept 12 gauge wire relief strain connections while the connections inside the saw are larger. That one still puzzles me.
    Hi Steve, if it's a single phase saw, the 12 AWG flexible cord would be rated for 25 amperes, which is probably fine for that HP. The internal wirings may need to be 10 AWG.....Regards, Rod.

I somewhat agree as I made the same trade. The overall build quality of the SawStop is comparable but not superior to my old Unisaw and the fence is inferior to the Unifence. However, the riving knife and dust collection on the SawStop is superior.

While I do like the riving knife on mine I find the overhead dust collection lacking, and have found sawdust in the cabinet. Right now I am using only a 1hp DC but will soon have a 5hp DC hooked up and we'll see if there is any improvement.

Hi Jerome, dust collection should improve once you have enough airflow with the larger collector...........Regards, Rod.

For what it's worth, the table on the PM2000 is junk, too. It's made out of particleboard and the legs are held on by tiny little screws in said particleboard. Mine wasn't even close to flat, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    For what it's worth, the table on the PM2000 is junk, too. It's made out of particleboard and the legs are held on by tiny little screws in said particleboard. Mine wasn't even close to flat, either.
    Some people replace the extension table so they could install a router table in its place. We are woodworkers and with a new saw as good as the SS or PM, replacing the ext. table with a better one, say, made of birch plywood should be a piece of cake.

Simon

The original poster must have just read the marketing collateral that calls it Industrial. Lots of examples of tool labeled industrial that are not. If you read the manual, the Sawstop ICS sets itself apart from Unisaws and PM66 saws in that it has blade heel adjustment. With the Uni and PM66 and all other 10" cabinet saws that I am aware of you cannot remove blade heel by adjusting. You can only average the error with shims. With the Sawstop ICS that is adjustable. Also if you compare the trunions there is no comparison. The Sawstop is much more advanced, and you can adjust away any machining error during manufacturing. With the other cabinet saws you cannot. The sawstop ICS has a much larger table. Lastly, the Sawstop ICS weights more than the Unisaw, PM66, and PM2000. About 100 lbs more. Is it a true industrial duty saw, of course not. Is it another mediocre Asian cabinet saw? It is Asian but it stands above the US made Unisaw and the US made PM66. I've owned all three.

This would be an industrial cabinet saw.
    http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/tablesaws/4saw.htm
    Last edited by Joe Jensen; 08-03-2018 at 4:17 PM.