Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jammed/Frozen Blade Holder Screw on Joiner

of its a regular small bolt in the gib holding the knives in then an impact driver is useless it doesnt access the bolt from the end to get a socket over the head. Recently had a stuck bolt on my alternator bracket and could not loosen it to put new bearings in. Heated it with propane torch yellow cylinder not tons then misted water on to whatever level I wanted with those simple water spray bottles. Did that several times and it was enough after several times to make it break free. Those bolts are not the best size wise and you dont always have excellent access. Sounds like it was well overtightened unless it got rusted in place

Note that heating and cooling relay on two separate properties and two aspects of physics. One is expansion/contraction at different temperatures. The idea of heating the female portion and cooling the male part is the female part will expand more since it is warmer. This should loosen it up right away.
    The other method is temperature cycling where both portions are at the same temps but they cycle up and down together. This one relies on multiple cycles and the different diameters expand contract a different amount so they slowly grow apart and break any galling or rust bonds.
    No need for the heat to get enough to temper the metal. Keep it under 500 F. A kitchen oven is plenty.
    When you replace the bolts polish the heads to make it easier to adjust.
    Bill D

I have the answer:

b4137.jpg
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

thats for you yungins, us old folks are set in our ways. We still have our turntables.

Thats not a common thing that kind of stuck, never heard of it. I did what Bill said on the alt bolt back and forth likely five six times and it was never super hot I could have measured with the heat gauge but was backing off when it felt right, I was likely pretty conservative.

Glad it worked. As I get older I realize the trick for many things is patience. Give the oil and the heat time to soak in. Best idea is to let it soak overnight and give you mind time to calm down, and think about it, so you do not get too aggressive and break stuff.
    It took years of ignoring it for the problem to grow so bad. It will take more then a minute to solve the problem.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    thats for you yungins, us old folks are set in our ways. We still have our turntables.
    The funny thing is probably a bigger percentage of millennials and Gen Xers have turntables at least ones they use.

Screen-Shot-2016-04-14-at-14.18.43-768x506.png

It is still a niche compared to the late 70s early 80s vinyl is now selling better than it did at the end of the 80s.

While I was just being funny it is an excuse to buy a new toy, with even more screws to get stuck.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yeah well was kind of expecting that response on the turntable

I have it and dont use it but its wired into the pre amp and 2 feet away. Special matt made of sorbathane, Neuman cable some special arm some special cartridge dont remember. No question it sounded good, a bit microphonic. Customer gave me a very high end CD player years back most CD's sounded crappy too harsh, then they got better and better as sampling rates went up. Dire Straights Brothers in Arms was the first CD that i put in that had the softness of a record then no noise.

A good hammer impact driver set comes with straight and Phillips screw tips as well as adapters for sockets. I have never failed to get a machine screw out by using one of these. Of course, the screwdriver head on the bolt needs to be somewhat intact for it to work. I once serviced offset printing presses, and a good hammer impact set was always part of my tool box.

Charley

bought one 44 years ago for the screws on the crankcase on my 750 Honda. I cant see any use for it here, its a bolt what are you going to do with a hammer impact driver that is approaching a contained bolt from the side??

bought one 44 years ago for the screws on the crankcase on my 750 Honda. I cant see any use for it here, its a bolt what are you going to do with a hammer impact driver that is approaching a contained bolt from the side??
    What kind of head does it have? These hammer impact tools can be adapted to screwdriver flat blade, Phillips, Socket wrench sockets, and even Allen and Bristol sockets. If you can get some kind of wrench or screwdriver on the bolt head you can adapt the hammer impact driver to fit it.

Charley

of its a regular small bolt in the gib holding the knives in then an impact driver is useless it doesnt access the bolt from the end to get a socket over the head. Recently had a stuck bolt on my alternator bracket and could not loosen it to put new bearings in. Heated it with propane torch yellow cylinder not tons then misted water on to whatever level I wanted with those simple water spray bottles. Did that several times and it was enough after several times to make it break free. Those bolts are not the best size wise and you dont always have excellent access. Sounds like it was well overtightened unless it got rusted in place
    Funny, 44 years ago I had a 750 Honda

I had to figure back when 44 years ago was, but I also had a Honda 750 then. Dual front disk brakes were a monster improvement over the drums on the Norton 750 I rode before that one. I saw too many of my friends roll across hoods of old ladies' cars, and quick riding on the road though.

I also own one of those "hammer" impact drivers from back then when they were simply an "impact driver". Language changes over time, sometimes for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    What kind of head does it have? These hammer impact tools can be adapted to screwdriver flat blade, Phillips, Socket wrench sockets, and even Allen and Bristol sockets. If you can get some kind of wrench or screwdriver on the bolt head you can adapt the hammer impact driver to fit it.

Charley
    Charley visualize a bottle jack holding up your car. You can only reach in from the side. Not above. No socket, screw driver bit or Allen wrench will work. They were designed to use an open ended wrench on the bolt that is functioning like a jack in the cutter head.

See if this link works. It has a cross section of a cutter block.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/tuning-up-your-jointer

Oh, that screw.

If it was mine I would use a cutting disk on a Dremel tool and try to cut the threaded bolt piece just behind the blade, effectively making the bolt shorter. Then remove the blade to gain more access and see if you can get a narrow pair of Vise-Grip pliers on what's left and work it free. You are going to need a new nut and threaded piece, but they are the very much the same design in many brands of joiners, so spare parts for another brand/model might be the same, if you can't get them from the original manufacturer.

Sorry, I somehow mis-understood what you were referring to. Fortunately, I have never had trouble with these in my joiner, and my planer is a DeWalt 735 so it isn't the same at all, so I have very little experience that directly applies to your problem. I would consider using "Never Seize" on the new threaded piece and nut so hopefully, this will never happen again.

Charley