Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apothecary Chest - final

Apothecary Chest - final

Talk about down to the wire. It's 11 p.m. and I've just completed a coat of Howard's wax after the last coat of Livos Universal Wood Oil. The drawers were all finished inside and out with Ubeaut Hard Shellac (dewaxed blond shellac). The inside of the chest (drawer recesses) was given a coat of paste wax. Tomorrow morning I take the chest to the Perth Showground for the annual West Australian Wood Show, where it will take its place among others in the furniture competition. I started this piece 3 months ago.

I could tell you how the base gave me fits. It was a difficult task to design a stand for a curved cabinet. Probably why Krenov never built an apothecary chest! Last night I completed the base, and Lynndy loved it. Compound curves forever. Damn sexy. The base, that is.

But when I placed the chest on it, the combination looked awful ... top heavy ... ugh! I was out of wood, out of time, and it looked like I was out of the competition.

This morning I woke up and had an inspiration. Cut the legs shorter. This evening, after work, I did just that. And I like the finished piece. I think the balance is right. So does Lynndy, which matters. The dimensions are 1000 high (39") x 460mm (18") across.

Here is the chest, and where it will be positioned in the entrance hall ...

A few pics of the base ...

Much time was spent designing and building the drawers, which curve across the fronts ...

Yes, I changed the steel for brass screws (no slotted ones the correct size, however) ...

And made knobs in the same Black Walnut, and fitted coplanar to the drawer recess (that was a headache before finally coming up with the simplest solution, to use the drill press!) ..

I was very pleased with the drawer stops ...

... and you can see the shiplapped back if you peak ...

It has been a long, but exhilarating build. I hope that you got something from it too.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,
    That has to be a WINNER!!! Thank you so much for posting this beautiful build, it is truly instructive and inspirational. I continue to be impressed with your design sense and craftsmanship. Your work always checks all the boxes (design, details, material use, finish, function, build process and execution).

Again, my sincere thanks - Bill

PS- One anomaly, I didn't have to buy, or make, a new tool as typically results from one of your posts.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 08-01-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Great work Derek and good luck in the competition! Let us know how it goes.

Just Brilliant!

Gorgeous!! Looks like you have another winner!

Brilliant solution! The stand is perfect for the chest. I also really like how the cabinet is floated above the stand. And the drawer stops are also the tops.

And I was somewhat relieved to read it took three months--it seemed much shorter to me. I'm sure it felt like a long haul for you, but I'm always envious of your pace

As always, many thanks for taking the time to share. And welcome to the dark (walnut) side. You might never go back...

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Love it.

Kudos.

One word absolutely stunning! Guess that is two words. Best of luck, I am sure it will be a winner.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    Looking great, good luck at the show.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Outstanding work Derek. Clean, flowing, functional, understated. Kudos to the Mrs also for her design input. Good luck in the show.
    David

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Derek – absolutely fantastic!

Thanks for sharing the build process and good luck in the competition!

Best, Mike

A big thank you to everyone.

I am just happy to be in the Show. Frankly, dropping off the chest this morning, and seeing what others have brought in, the standard is looking very high. I will be very lucky to get a lowish place.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looks very nice Derek. And I understand why the original base would have looked out of place. Did you shorten the legs a little at a time, or did you just cut them short in one fell swoop?

Kees, I had a photo of the of the original base and the chest together. From this I could judge where it should be cut. Marked the legs and sawed them off! It was good first time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

It looks great, and it has been fun to follow the progress.