Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picked up a power feeder... bad rollers?

Another plus for western roller call them with the name and model of the feeder and they will have replacement tires
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Blog Entries
    I like my western roller wheels, but the last two sets I got have slightly different diameters (two different) that causes a significant shudder as one of the wheels slip during feeding.

call western roller and don't look back. the polyurethane wheels are a game changer for feeder performance.

Mark, good info on the DC40. I just ordered one yesterday, and a set of different wheels.

I robbed the feeder off of our miscellaneous shaper and put it on a tablesaw dedicated to machining the slot for drawer bottoms.

What really ticks me off is whenever those came out, it was just before I bought two new regular feeders and didn't know about the DC ones.

I disagree with not buying them for a fixed setup as dialing in the feed rate more accurately makes them worth the price of admission. There's plenty of times where I've felt I was in between two feed rates so I went with the slower of the two, but could bump the speed up a bit.

For whatever its worth you got a great deal! That style of Delta feeder is a good one, it's my daily driver at work. As mentioned yellow tires from Western Roller and you'll be good to go.

good luck,
    JeffD

Got the feeder running on the VFD last night so we're getting close! Today I was ordering the replacement tires and I was wondering if didn't want two 1" wide tires. In full disclosure; I've never used a feeder before, so the setup is a bit foreign to me. The initial application will be to rip about 3,000 lnft of lumber for a ceiling project. The board width will vary between 12" and only 2". My plan is to rip the wide boards first and then make the narrower pieces from the drops. It would seem the feeder would want to go on the right side of the blade, but there isn't sufficient room between the blade and the fence on the narrowest of pieces. I was thinking that with a 1" wide tire, I could then put the feeder over the blade with the 2" wide tires straddling the kerf. Is this the right way to set it up? For the record, I'll be using a 12 or 14" blade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Einwalter View Post
    Got the feeder running on the VFD last night so we're getting close! Today I was ordering the replacement tires and I was wondering if didn't want two 1" wide tires. In full disclosure; I've never used a feeder before, so the setup is a bit foreign to me. The initial application will be to rip about 3,000 lnft of lumber for a ceiling project. The board width will vary between 12" and only 2". My plan is to rip the wide boards first and then make the narrower pieces from the drops. It would seem the feeder would want to go on the right side of the blade, but there isn't sufficient room between the blade and the fence on the narrowest of pieces. I was thinking that with a 1" wide tire, I could then put the feeder over the blade with the 2" wide tires straddling the kerf. Is this the right way to set it up? For the record, I'll be using a 12 or 14" blade.
    Or you could position the gap between the wheels of the feeder right over the blade (and not run the blade much above the stock)

You could even let the blade cut into the wheel a little
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

if you have a fence that slides out and has a low side you can do that, or you could just make up an L and clamp it to your main fence

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    You could even let the blade cut into the wheel a little
    That's what I've done a number of times as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    if you have a fence that slides out and has a low side you can do that, or you could just make up an L and clamp it to your main fence
    I was thinking about just making up the spacer board you were describing. Thought maybe there was something blatantly obvious that I may have been missing.

Tim its always been work around scrap stuff for this and that function and once you make a very fast simple jig save it and its there for next time. I now have a grown ups saw and it has the sliding two height fence and of course im struck with why didnt I get this at the start, there are always easy work arounds and often very simple.

The best advice I can tell on a used feeder is be careful that it doesnt move, ive had one work into a cutter and it was clamped as hard as ever. I never use that one now without a block so if it did want to move it cant. that one is a Europa and even more of a bother to adjust the the Univer. I get why guys buy the fancy dancy ones, the old ones are some form of ancient torture until they are in place and adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    The best advice I can tell on a used feeder is be careful that it doesnt move, ive had one work into a cutter and it was clamped as hard as ever. I never use that one now without a block so if it did want to move it cant. that one is a Europa and even more of a bother to adjust the the Univer. I get why guys buy the fancy dancy ones, the old ones are some form of ancient torture until they are in place and adjusted.
    i hear ya; the feeder I bought kissed a saw blade on one of the wheel chain covers. I have a new cover on order, but it’s backordered for months due to the tarrifs. If anybody has a spare, I’d be interested in buying it.