Thread: Advice on Pergola

Advice on Pergola

Hey guys. I am looking to add a pergola to our recently expanded patio. (picture below)The dimensions of the patio are 14.5'x16.5'. We received a couple quotes to have the pergola built but they were astronomically high so now have decided to build it myself. Have quite a few questions and hoping to get feedback as I have done a few minor building projects but nothing this big. I'm just going to explain what I have envisioned and am open to all suggestions, see the last photo below as I plan on making a replica of this pergola but on a larger scale.

I decided that it would be easier for me to build the pergola free standing instead of attaching it to the house with a ledger. The size of the pergola will be 13x15 using four 6x6 posts that will be anchored drilling holes into the existing concrete and using post bases. (Are post bases the best option to secure the posts to the existing concrete?) I then plan on using (3) 2x10x16 beams to span the 15' distance (my wife really doesn't want a middle post), plan to secure the beams using a beam connector. (Will 2x10's be strong enough to hold the weight without sagging? Should I use 2x12's? How should I secure the beams "on top" of the posts as in the picture below? Would beam connectors work? Should I reconsider securing the beams to the sides of the posts?). I then plan on using 2x6x14 for the rafters spaced 14" apart securing with angle brackets. Finally I will use 2x2 for the battens spaced approximately 2" apart. Will this be structurally sound? Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks!

IMG_20180728_152431.jpg Pergola.jpg
    Last edited by Todd Putnam; 07-31-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Consult your local building inspector to find out what the requirements for footings for this sort of structure might be in your area. It may well be that simply setting it on a slab is not sufficient.

Some of your links are wonky. The hardware that you do link to appears either inappropriate or inadequate. Peruse the Simpson Strong-Tie catalog to find more appropriate solutions - post bases, hurricane ties, and so forth.

On a more positive note, given the open structure of a pergola, you probably don't have to worry about load (live or dead) - the structure only has to support itself.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Thanks for the advice Jim. I will contact my local inspectors office to find out that information. Sorry about the weird links don't know what happen there but should be correct now.

I built my pergola a few years back. The columns are spaced 14' apart. I kept my posts separate from the patio, although my patio is pavers instead of concrete. I'm not sure I would trust a 4" pad to mount the posts. I asked what the minimum delivery of concrete was and found it was one yard, so I divided that by 4 and ended up with 4 Sonotubes, 18" in diameter x 48" deep. Overkill to be sure, but there was no cost hit to make them bigger. I imbedded 4 5/8" x 24" Simpson bars into each tube pour and mounted Simpson post bases to those.

All beams sag, you need to decide on how much is acceptable. There are online calculators for beam sizing. My beams are a pair of 2x12's. The rafters are 2x10's notched to fit over the beams and lock the beams into place. I used 1x2's for the battens. Mine are spaced further apart because it was my intention to grow vines up and onto the pergola to provide most of the shade.

Here's a couple of pics.

IMG_0142.jpgIMG_0147.jpg

No idea where you live. How much snow/ice load will this get, how much wind? Wind loads are normally upward and sideways not downward.
    Two years ago our friend in Truckee California got about 40' of snow. She is an architect so no damage to their house unlike others in the area.
    Bill D

Just some intertesting pictures for you consideration.
    https://www.ktvb.com/gallery/weather.../277-384048169
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-01-2018 at 11:02 AM.

I live in NC we don't get much snow but can become quite windy at times. The consensus I'm getting is that I need to revamp my initial plans.

Any other feedback? Looking to start project in a couple weeks, would like to hear others thoughts.

Todd, Check your Private Messages (top right of the page). Sent you a link to a similar build.

Todd,

I have built several pergolas.

You are on a good path.

Use the Simpson Stongtie connectors.

2 x 10 should be fine for the span. Either use Simpson connectors or put the beams on top.

The big thing you need to be concerned about is the pergola wracking due to lateral stress (e.g. wind). I would recommend putting some lumber at 45s on all of the corners.