Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Narex DOVETAIL chisels?

Bill; how sharp are the side lands on those chisels.

Hey Stewie - I would not call them sharp at all. (the only disappointment) On the 1/2" chisel, the sides are about 3/32, while they are smaller on the 1/4", maybe 1/16. Tried taking a pic but didn't work out. Narex had the right idea, just didn't go far enough.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

The Narex rep at AWFS last summer told me their manufacturing equipment leaves a minimum 1 mm flat on the side bevels, the same for both their dovetail and "classic" Narex bench chisels sold by Lee Valley.

I think he was being a sales rep. Citing the minimum doesn't really tell us what we want to know. This is the 1/2" chisel.
    20180808_104732.jpg

Blog Entries
    The Narex rep at AWFS last summer told me their manufacturing equipment leaves a minimum 1 mm flat on the side bevels
    I think he was being a sales rep. Citing the minimum doesn't really tell us what we want to know.
    Being vague when answering questions is what sales reps are paid to do. It sounds better than, "we really do not know, but we try to make them at least 1mm and anything bigger than Xmm is labeled a firmer chisel."

They are cranking out chisels as fast as they can and as long as they fall into certain parameters they get shipped to market.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I bought one to try. It is not a Japanese chisel, though it is hollowed on the back to look like one! It is not a chisel I would reach for if doing "show" dovetails, but if I was wailing away on pieces of 3/4" spruce, for a quicky, no-show, I might grab it. To tell the truth, I really can't even remember where it is stored!

What I use for DT's, are several "true" Japanese chisels and/or my Ashly Iles round back chisels. But what helps dovetailing more than anything, is constant practice! Maybe if Warren reads this thread, he can give us a historical perspective on size of lands on vintage chisels.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Maybe if Warren reads this thread, he can give us a historical perspective on size of lands on vintage chisels.
    My recollection is someone posted about bevel edged chisels not appearing until the middle of the 19th century. My recollector has been known to be on the blink at times.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    my Ashly Iles round back chisels. But what helps dovetailing more than anything, is constant practice!
    Thanks for the info Tony. I never even looked at the AI round back chisels. I would have gone that way for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I think he was being a sales rep. Citing the minimum doesn't really tell us what we want to know. This is the 1/2" chisel.
    20180808_104732.jpg
    Thanks Bill; appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    The hollow is different on this chisel compared to a Japanese chisel. With a Japanese chisel the hollow is shallower near the edge. This way you can use fully use up the blade without completely loosing the hollow as the blade gets shorter and thinner. If the hollow on the Narex gets too close to the edge you would have to remove a lot of steel to move it back. I guess they thought it would appeal to people who can't afford a set of good Japanese chisels but they clearly didn't think it through.
    I just took a look at the actual chisel, and I have to agree.

It's basically all of the great aspects of a Japanese chisel done very wrongly / in such a way that they're either useless, or detrimental. The hollow especially is a huge detriment that will significantly shorten the life of the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I've been using them for about 6 months now. They are pretty comfortable to use, sharpen well, and do what they are supposed to do. I prefer using them to using my bench chisels. Worth the cost, and then some.
    Thanks Bill!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    I bought one to try. It is not a Japanese chisel, though it is hollowed on the back to look like one! It is not a chisel I would reach for if doing "show" dovetails, but if I was wailing away on pieces of 3/4" spruce, for a quicky, no-show, I might grab it. To tell the truth, I really can't even remember where it is stored!

What I use for DT's, are several "true" Japanese chisels and/or my Ashly Iles round back chisels. But what helps dovetailing more than anything, is constant practice! Maybe if Warren reads this thread, he can give us a historical perspective on size of lands on vintage chisels.
    Thanks Tony!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”