Thread: Dust Control Help?

Dust Control Help?

So.....I'm a total newby and this forum has been a great resource. Rabbit Laser will deliver my 24x36 machine 8-16! I've read DC threads at some length but every situation is different and I'm not sure where I fit. To start I'll have a laser and Ray asked for a 6" fitting, similar to dryer vent and he will install to laser. I guess I'm asking how critical is this to the working environment? I'll have belt sander, etc, etc, and I know there will be some painting. Don't know if painting will be brush or spray at this point? Thus far I'm confused. I understand "clean room" thinking but will appreciate your input but don't understand to what degree it's necessary? Your input will be appreciated!!!!

Steve,
    Great choice on machine, I have been very happy with mine.
    Let me take a stab at this, I think Ray is telling you that the machine will come with a 6” hose for exhaust and if you have a 6” vent installed on your wall, it will clamp right on. My machine is located next a window and when I use the machine I open the window, throw the hose outside and install spacer above the hose and install a foam spacer between the open window panes, to seal the best as possible. Then I slightly open a window across the room for make up air.
    “Clean room” My guess he is telling you that you will get your best results not placing it in a dusty wood shop, because the dust will settle on the mirrors as well as gum up the gantry rails.
    Just some guesses.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Blog Entries
    Scott hit it. Exhaust is for smoke, smell elimination. The straighter the better, and if possible, put the fan outside. Do search, recently there have been a couple of threads discussing exterior setups. Quieter for you inside, noiser outside, but if you are pulling exhaust to fan, and its outside, you don't lose smoke inside from pushing smoke from the fan to the exit. (hope that is clear)

As far as clean, you have rails that need to be pretty clean. No sawdust. Laser is enclosed so most will not make it in. I cut a lot of mdf, no sanding of it, but just sawing makes clouds of very fine dust. If I had laser in same room, it wouldn't be good for laser, I'd have to work to keep clean. But as long as you can blow it off before use, it should be ok.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Thanks for the input......I understand not a dusty wood shop. I'm thinking there will be light sanding, and some paint/fill work.I have a 24x24 building adjacent and will move the table saw and miter saw there. Down there road I'm thinking about a CNC router and I understand that will require serious DC I'd hope to utilize that in the 24 x 40 building but not adverse to a larger building if finances justify? Any thoughts???

Just throw a tarp over your laser when not in use. A little dust is not a real big deal.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

A couple of things to consider - dust will stick to the lubrication you put on the rails, lead screws, bearings, etc., and will muck things up pretty quickly, blowing it off won't really work. Second, any dust in the air will get sucked into the laser when you run the exhaust so simply covering it won't really be enough. If it's at all possible, keep the dust producing equipment in a separate area altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    A couple of things to consider - dust will stick to the lubrication you put on the rails, lead screws, bearings, etc., and will muck things up pretty quickly, blowing it off won't really work. Second, any dust in the air will get sucked into the laser when you run the exhaust so simply covering it won't really be enough. If it's at all possible, keep the dust producing equipment in a separate area altogether.
    That is really on my mind Gary. I have a vertical mill in storage in a non climate controled space. Thought I oiled it down pretty well but it generated significant surface rust on the table. This is the only space I have with heat/AC so it must go there as it's too nice a machine to let it rust away. I can cover it but not sure I can completely isolate it? Decisions, decisions.