Thread: Problem wiping off oil/varnish blend

Problem wiping off oil/varnish blend

First time using an oil/varnish blend. My formula was 1 part polyurethane, 1 part BLO, 1 part MS. I generously applied to a cherry box, got good absorption, waited 15 minutes then wiped it off - all good. After 24 hours, I mixed a new batch and applied it again, the soak-in was spotty, still good... I guess. Waited 15 min - wiped off.
    Here is my problem- it seemed to me that wiping off the second and all subsequent coats (total of 4) just removed all the mixture I had just put on. It didn't look to me to be absorbing OR building up.
    Should I have waited longer than 15 minutes? I was afraid that if I waited too long, it would be like wiping a half dried coat of just poly.
    Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    I use a 1:1:1 finish, or some subtle variations, almost exclusively. In my experience, you waited too long between coats. I apply the first coat, wait about 20 minutes in my dry desert basin area and then wipe it off like I changed my mind. I then immediately apply the second coat until all areas stay wet. Wait about 20 minutes and wipe it off less aggressively in order to leave a film.

Based on the appearance at the second coat (after wiping off) I will apply a third or wait over night. The deciding factor is that I have a good starter-build and appearance.

That is a little vague, let me try to be more descriptive. If the piece doesn't look "done" while wet (that is, immediately following the wipe-off of the second coat), I apply a third coat right away. If the piece looks good while wet (again, immediately following the wipe-off of the second coat), I leave it for 24 hours.

Now I have a good seal coat with the first application and a well-started build coat with the second or third as previously described. I will now add another two to three coats of a blend that is more heavily varnish in order to continue to build.

In a nutshell, my blends lean heavier on mineral spirits for the first coat, about 1:1:1 for the between coats and heavier on varnish for the last couple of coats. HTH.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-31-2018 at 6:35 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What Glenn said. And do keep in mind that your first coat is actually sealing the wood so you cannot expect any additional major absorption of the finish after that first coat goes on. Yes, you'll start to fill pores, etc., but the only reason you're wiping off is to get any excess. In fact, your subsequent coats should be just builds without wiping off in most cases.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Many thanks guys! I wasn't sure if I was going to use this finish on current project, but now I'm goin for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Bartlett View Post
    Many thanks guys! I wasn't sure if I was going to use this finish on current project, but now I'm goin for it.
    I use oil/varnish finish (homebrew or "danish") the same way except I usually wait 48 hours after the first coat, and noticed the same thing - subsequent coats seemed at first to do nothing. However, I do start to see a definite difference with even more coats. For example, one walnut/cherry piece got better and better the more coats I applied - I think I ended up with 10-12 applications over a 2 week period. It looked pretty good with three coats but is fantastic with more, richer and deeper with a soft satin sheen that I like, although it could be buffed to a gloss. I did wet sand with 400 and 600 during the second and third coats and used 0000 steel wool wet with some of the later coats.

I was told years ago that each subsequent coat leaves nothing but a very thin film.

JKJ