Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for ordering door glass

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I think you'll find that most quality custom door builders bed their IGUs in RTV. Ditch the tape all together.
    As many window manufacturers also do. Generally works to minimize water and air infiltration, but good luck trying to deglaze the thing when the glass is cemented 100% at the perimeter. We have found tape works better for the next guy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gulick View Post
    As many window manufacturers also do. Generally works to minimize water and air infiltration, but good luck trying to deglaze the thing when the glass is cemented 100% at the perimeter. We have found tape works better for the next guy.
    Unfortunately glass breaks. Ive spent plenty of time sitting with a heat gun, a sharp chisel, and a honing stone to get my sharp chisel back to sharp, swapping out glass. I'd rather have to work a little to get it out but have a bullet proof seal as opposed to making it easy in the rare event an IGU or panel fails/gets broken.

My guess has always been the tape is there for speed and cleanup issues and on the long shot your not going to have issues with the IGU blaming your product for the failure. Ive taken several IGUs out of vinyl windows in double-wides and Ive always been thankful the sash was made from vinyl because if it had been wood it would be rotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Unfortunately glass breaks. Ive spent plenty of time sitting with a heat gun, a sharp chisel, and a honing stone to get my sharp chisel back to sharp, swapping out glass. I'd rather have to work a little to get it out but have a bullet proof seal as opposed to making it easy in the rare event an IGU or panel fails/gets broken.

My guess has always been the tape is there for speed and cleanup issues and on the long shot your not going to have issues with the IGU blaming your product for the failure. Ive taken several IGUs out of vinyl windows in double-wides and Ive always been thankful the sash was made from vinyl because if it had been wood it would be rotten.
    Nothing is "bullet proof" regarding water/air infiltration. Historically glass was set in a compound for a bedding and "sealed" at the exterior. Water infiltration would occur at some point and would enter the glazing rebate. The upstanding leg at the interior would divert water to the exterior in theory. This would work for a short time, but reglazing as part of basic maintance program would be required. We have been manufacturing windows for many years and never recommend glass set in silicone or any type of adhesive.
    Last edited by John Gulick; 08-14-2018 at 1:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    I made my back door with a glass pane. I used tempered glass. The door has a 25"X 33" pane .
    It is sturdy. I have seen tempered glass hand rails on decks. I don't think it will break. It is 5 years old.