Thread: Saw and Planer

Saw and Planer

Checking Craigslist today, I noticed a post with an 18" Grizzly Bandsaw for $600. I've emailed the seller to find what model, if it has the fence or miter gage, if the table tilts, are there extra blades and if it's single speed. From the pics in this listing, can anyone tell what it is and what a fair price may be? They also have a HF Chicago Electric 14" Bandsaw for $300 and a Craftsman 13.5" Surface Planer 315.217 430 asking $300. I know both of those are way over priced. A new HF 14" Band saw is only $369 and a WEN Surface planer is around $280. I have a table saw, compound miter saw, lathe and drill press. Really feel a band saw and planer would complete what I need for now. Joiner later.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
    00m0m_9ozpogv5jkW_1200x900.jpg00W0W_aghHltfGz95_1200x900.jpg00b0b_kqsMqZ5hk9p_1200x900.jpg

The 18" saw is probably a G1012 and about 25+ years old, I think they had 2hp motors and 10" resaw height. They are an OK saw at best and the spines are not very strong, not really a candidate for resawing. Keep in mind the quality of Asian saws have gone up significantly over the past 25 years. I hate putting prices on things but it is definitely overpriced even appearing very clean I would think $300 is a reasonable price. IIRC they were about $600 when they were new.

In perspective, you can get a new Grizzly 17" saw for roughly $1K to your door. The Rikon 10-326 14" saw (but with more resaw capacity) will be ~850 on sale at Woodcraft (and maybe others) later this month.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Not positive, but those all seen way overpriced fur being used. Just my 2cents

Thanks guys. I did hear back from the seller. It's a person selling their dad's stuff. Sounded like he's not around anymore and I don't think they know about the tools. I just saw 18" and wondered what a good deal would be. I think I'll keep looking.

Blog Entries
    Good advice and a good decision IMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler