Thread: first project: Entryway Table

first project: Entryway Table

I finished this up this past weekend after a few months of inactivity. It's now sat in our entryway, tastefully appointed. The wife also put some fancy fabric and a glass bowl she made on it.

IMG_0164-001.jpg

It's based on Norm's kitchen worktable (0208) just with box stretchers instead of the H-stretchers. I wanted to try a bunch of different techniques out so the legs got tapered, the aprons and breadboard ends were drawbored and the drawers have a lock-rabbet joint. It's made out of red oak and finished with six coats of mineral spirits, boiled linseed oil and polyurethane mixed in various ratios (one 1:1:0, two 1:1:1, three 0:1:1). I was shooting for a home-made Danish oil and wipe-on poly.

Very nice work, Dave! And that dinosaur really sets things off. LOL (Seriously nice work!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice.......
    Chris

Great looking table
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Very nice, Dave. You did a really good job of cutting the drawer fronts out of the front panel. It looks very sharp.

Dave, well done with beautiful attention to detail. The front panel/drawer front execution is spot on!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's a great looking table. You sure that's your FIRST project Dave?
    (Guys, we may have a budding Derek Cohen in our midst.)
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fred,

I'm with you! First project? Very well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great first project! Just out of curiosity, how are the drawers installed? Are they on slides?

Great job, and congratulations on taking on so many elements in your first project.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. It's been great looking at all the projects on this forum.

Fred, I made some window boxes and a workbench in between when I started and finished it, but it's definitely the first project I started.

The drawers are on kickers, Jay. There's a center one holding them both up, and side ones at either short end. They're mortised about 1/4" into the front and rear aprons, and have rabbets in their edges so the drawers sit in the middle of their openings. I actually cut them too low at first, so I made spacers and those made them too high. All that resulted in me buying a #90...

Blog Entries
    Beats the heck outta my first piece of furniture. I don't even remember what it was but, it sure wasn't as well done as that. Great work.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Beautiful table Dave! The grain continuity of the front drawers is spectacular.

Very nice table.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.