Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Box Elder with Flames - How do I best keep the fire going after turning?

All finishes protect it somewhat. In my tests I tried a whole bunch of finishes and when put under extreme conditions of summer sun all the wood faded within days no matter what finish I put on. To me that suggests the UV is the problem and not oxygen or Ozone.

A lady at Woodcraft today, said there's a General Finishes that has a good UV inhibitor in it. I will look into it, and report back.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Just FYI, pro turner Jamie Donaldson argues that adding red dye to the flame is ethically preferred. You owe it to your customer to make sure the color when they buy the piece is maintained. Red dye is the only way to prolong the life of the red color.

Also, I prefer to use water-base poly or Deft lacquer spray on flame boxelder. All the oil base finishes (poly, antique oil, danish oil, etc) impart an amber tone that mutes the striking contrast between the white wood and the flame. Even lacquer has some amber tome, but it is less than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    A lady at Woodcraft today, said there's a General Finishes that has a good UV inhibitor in it. I will look into it, and report back.
    Several folks in the TN Association of Woodturners say this will keep the colors alive for 5 years or more.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.