Thread: Mock Ups to Help Develop Design Ideas

Mock Ups to Help Develop Design Ideas

Sometimes I feel mocking up a full size model of a project helps bring out the best design idea, especially in some larger projects like an entertainment center or library bookcases and cabinets. Have you done this? Please give any suggestions you have and materials you would use.

I will do a mock up for a new design if it is a bit technical or there is something about the proportioning that I can't get my head around. I don't do it for a one off project or at worst will do part of a mock up. The cost of materials is a factor in the decision making as well as confidence in my design abilities.

Book shelves and cabinets I rely on my design experience. However, if you are an observer of other work wherever you go, you can draw on other people's experience. It is really cheap to look at a piece, note its major proportions and apply the principles back in the workshop. Be fair to the original designer and only use the inspiration or else credit the source of the design.

When doing a mock up, use whatever scrap is available that serves the purpose. If a component looks wrong, just add to it in whatever way gets the look you need for the 5 minutes of its life. Its also possible to use foam core packaging board and other short term materials. I don't, preferring to use material that would otherwise be scrap. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I do it. I use cheap lumber or even dimensioned lumber. How far I go depends on how uncertain I am, and exactly what I'm uncertain about. For example, last year I made a John Boos-style butcher block. My Mom wanted it a certain size that I thought was too big for her work area. So I mocked up the size in 2x4's and put a plywood top on it. She used it 3 mos and said "yes, this is the right size". So then I built it. I mocked up the butcher block lamination using cheap knotty pine from the BORG. That let me practice. After the real butcher block was done, I repurposed the 2x4 mockup into a stand for other tools. (I haven't found a use for the knotty pine laminated top yet. It's too porous for a real cutting board.)

Another technique I use is to build a prototype of the actual item using actual materials - in a reduced size. That let's me work out various techniques ahead of my build at a reduced cost. For example, I made my neighbor kid a workbench that's about 1/3 the size of mine - then I built the full size one for me.

Finally, I often mockup complex joinery in pine or poplar to get the hang of it before I use more expensive material.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I have done mock ups back before I learned SketchUp. I made a side table out of pallets and 2x4 material:

proto-no-drawer-1.jpg . SU-Compare-002.jpg

I also used 2x4 and 4x4 material to make a mock-up Maloof table base to try different leg shapings.

n-Ped-Table-foot-1.jpg . FWW-post-2.jpg

I don't know that I would do much full size prototyping anymore. SU is your friend.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-31-2018 at 7:50 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I don't do mockups much on rectalinear furniture -- tables, bookcases, dressers, etc. Sketchup and my experience are sufficient. However, I often do mockups for seating furniture. Sketchup cannot tell me whether a design is comfortable to sit in.

I do sometimes make full-size mock-ups. Usually from corrugated cardboard taped or hot-glued together. Sometimes from cheap lumber. I suppose as I gain experience I might do less of this.

For example, I just made this cardboard mock-up of a coffee table. I'll use it get feedback from the people I am making the table for; mainly the dimensions, but also the curved edges.

IMG_1408.jpg

Rigid foam insulation board is wonderful stuff as long as you're OK with pink and blue. Obviously a bit crude and probably not much help with working out structural details, but if you just want to see how something will fit in a space it's great.

Making spare parts can sometimes help. Say I'm making a table with 4 legs, I'll make 5 or 6 legs and try out stuff on the first one or two. And if I end up with an extra or two I can toss out the one(s) with the worst grain match.

For my larger or more complicated projects (like my twin over full bunk beds pictured below), I like to to make simple initial prototypes out of 2x lumber, plywood, cardboard, or whatever else I have on hand. This gives me a chance to visualize the proportions and aesthetics of the design as well as confirm angles and other key dimensions or reference points.

Pocket screws (Kreg) are a great way to create a quick assembly, but simple butt joints joined with glue and/or screws can be good too. Then there are staples, pin nails or brads, or even good old fashioned duct tape (gorilla tape!).

The dining table I recently posted I made 3 different mockups of one end of the base. I used 2x4s laminated to be able to get the 2-3/8” square that I needed. Started on the first one with a single 2x4 but the 1-1/2” dimension was too small
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution