Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a Rockwell 62-751 table saw

Question Should I buy a Rockwell 62-751 table saw

Found this saw on craigslist after my old ryobi shorted the motor (only spent $40 on that) It looks to be in decent shape. CI has no rust that I can see. Ad says it runs well. 10" blade. I know this is an older model so will parts be an issue? What would you value this saw at? thanks for your replies!

'https://denver.craigslist.org/tls/d/table-saw-delta-rockwell/6630619086.html
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-04-2018 at 7:04 AM. Reason: removed direct link to auction site

Classic ol contractors saw, and probably better than anything at Lowes for twice as much. E-bay is full of parts.

I would check and see if he has the wings for it, and buy it for $200, assuming you check it for operation of all controls, and arbor wiggle.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 07-31-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

No wings? and a less than desirable fence. I would pass.

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on mostly using this to rip 2x pine so I dont move the fence often. That being said how much do you think this machine is worth?

Thanks Rick, any suggestions on how to test for arbor wiggle since I don't have a caliper device?

I would pay 200 for it. As Rick said ask if he has the wings for it. There is absolutely nothing worth buying new for that price. Even if the arbor bearings are shot they only cost about $20. Good luck, Mike.

Justin, I just grab the arbor (with blade removed) and twist,to feel for clicks. Then pull up and push down ,is there any play ?If all feels tight and it spins smoothly with no crunch or click sounds the bearings are most likely fine. As I said before ,the bearings are cheap and it only takes an hour or so to replace them.Mike.

I was actually looking at a similar saw recently at auction (link)and asked for opinions here (link). I ended up going a different way (Jet JWTS-10 from the late 90s) because it was (a lot) closer to my shop. As you see, the Rockwell was in great shape and had the cast iron wings and went for $150. All that being the case, $250 seems high especially if it doesn't come with the wings and blade guard.

If that's all you can afford, sure, buy it.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

If you don't already have it, someone else does.

Wings, if needed, should be easy to find at OWWWM dot ORG in the BOYD forum.

About that fence, I had one on a Unisaw for about 10 years, and it worked fine. It even has the micro adjuster knob (not really that micro, but handy).

I have seen wings for $20 for stamped steel, but I would consider just making a wooden wing on the right with a router mounted in it. That is the way my Uni came (I added the router).
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 08-01-2018 at 1:50 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Justin

If that saw turns on, and works properly, then it's a fair price. That's kind of hitting the bottom of the price range for a working table saw. Might go a few dollars lower for the lack of extensions.
    I agree with the others, that you will not find a better saw like that new anywhere for twice the money.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Went to take a look at the saw and it needed a new blade but runs and adjusts fine. Ended up purchasing it for $150. Thanks everyone for your help!

Heck of a good price.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Score! Congrats
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.