Thread: Smithy CB-1220 XL Lathe-Mill-Drill ?

Smithy CB-1220 XL Lathe-Mill-Drill ?

Once in a while I need a part made or modified and have to take it to a machine shop. I just had a 10" x 3/8" slot cut in aluminum for $90. So.... I see one of these for sale with a bunch of stuff for $250, looks to be in decent shape. Are they any good for anything or just too small. Mostly aluminum. Looking at making some holders for a profile grinder and it would easily pay for this if it would do the job.

Thanks, Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Once in a while I need a part made or modified and have to take it to a machine shop. I just had a 10" x 3/8" slot cut in aluminum for $90. So.... I see one of these for sale with a bunch of stuff for $250, looks to be in decent shape. Are they any good for anything or just too small. Mostly aluminum. Looking at making some holders for a profile grinder and it would easily pay for this if it would do the job.

Thanks, Larry
    Your leaving out the cost of the tooling and the skill needed to cut your slot. You will easily spent as much or more, a lot more in tooling and a good milling vise. The combo mill and lathe setups are handy but your so limited in what you can do. Unless you can get "real" bargain say from a friend or Craigslist. The better ones are Smithy and Grizzly, if you can get them cheap with lots of tooling included. https://www.smithy.com/Smithy-Lathe-Mill-Combo
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I wasn't leaving anything out. I am just curious as to the capabilities of the unit I said was for sale locally. I had to take time away from my own shop, drive thirty miles, drop it off and do it again when it was done, so there is three hours of my shop time added to the $90, so $255 true cost plus fuel. If the unit I asked about has that capability and was sitting in my shop I would have already made it pay for itself. I specifically asked about the Smithy, as in the thread title.

So you are saying that the Smithy is not a bad unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I wasn't leaving anything out. I am just curious as to the capabilities of the unit I said was for sale locally. I had to take time away from my own shop, drive thirty miles, drop it off and do it again when it was done, so there is three hours of my shop time added to the $90, so $255 true cost plus fuel. If the unit I asked about has that capability and was sitting in my shop I would have already made it pay for itself. I specifically asked about the Smithy, as in the thread title.

So you are saying that the Smithy is not a bad unit?
    As far as 3-1s the Smithy is more than likely the better choice from what I have read. I have never had a 3-1 so I can not tell you good or bad. I had a nice metal lathe, a EMCO (not Enco) and a bench top mill. Both were perfect for what I needed. Sold both. What I was trying to say is there is more to machining than just the equipment. Tooling is expensive, so are hold downs and vises. When it comes time to sell, you get perhaps 20 cents on a dollar on it all. If you can find used and at the right price go for it. Around here metalworking equipment is a very slow market on CL.

Interesting discussion of a 3-1 > https://www.google.com/search?q=Smit...xtMenu&ie=&oe=
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-01-2018 at 9:22 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I would think for what it is it is a good machine, the Smithy has been around for decades. With these small mills/drills usefulness depends a lot on your ingenuity. I had an import drill press with an X-Y table and did some interesting work with it. I now have a full size turret mill in the shop.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Just saw this post. I don’t get around here much anymore it seams. Sorry but they are junk. Unless you want to pop for a decent mill I’d leave it to the pros. If you are running a business I’d just stay with what I know and make money rather than spend it on a hobby grade machine. If you want to start a new metal working hobby I’d still buy a used industrial machine.
    The Plane Anarchist

Thanks Leigh. Was waiting for the guy, will just disregard. Have been wondering what you have been up to.

I retired, moved to the lake but still in SD, gave up my wood shop in the move, but still have a metal shop at the lake. I’ve taken a big interest in motorcycles sidecars and been using most of my time fabing sidecar related stuff. I kept all my woodworking tools just waiting for the day I build a new shop.
    The Plane Anarchist