Thread: C Clamps and Woodworking?

C Clamps and Woodworking?

Hi All,

I have used C Clamps quite a bit in carpentry, back when I did quite a bit of it, at least from time to time. (I did use C Clamps and pipe clamps last week, working on framing of a deck. This to pull things up tight, to pull out a twist and get stuff exactly where I wanted before using brace and bit so I could bolt things into place.) I have them from 2" to 8", and was wondering about how often and for what they were used in woodworking, and could think of some but not many applications.

I use quick grip clamps more than any other type because they are so handy, but when real horsepower is needed, the C Clamps, pipe clamps, or hand screw clamps come out.

Do you use C Clamps very often for woodworking, and for what applications?

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 07-31-2018 at 12:26 AM.

I occasionally use them to clamp a fixture to a work surface.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes they can be used to hold a piece to a sawhorse when sawing. Recently did this with a large piece being cut with my chain saw.

Then the clamp was used like a stop on the saw horse to keep the piece from moving when it wasn't being held by my body weight sitting on it:

Scrubbing.jpg

Mine also get used to clamp up pieces being glued.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-31-2018 at 1:09 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I use them but, seldom. I use 1" or 2" C-clamps for straight edge guides in some situations. Generally I find it easier to use something like the Bessey mighty-minis or step-overs (often found on the cheap at WWing shows or specialty shops sales) for smaller tasks. That doesn't stop me from having a small collection of 1" through 6" C-clamps in a plastic shoe box on a shelf (picked up here and there dirt cheap during sales) for the times I need them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Good when something needs to be really clamped to the bench.

I have one that is always used to clamp the point fence to the bandsaw table.

I have a bunch of 1" c-clamps that come out fairly often. Tiny quick grip clamps from Irwin are dog droppings.

I use mine mainly to clamp cauls for veneer softening or veneer glue downs (cold press between plywood). Occassionally to clamp a fixture to the bench, or straight edge for sawing. I keep my eye open at garage sales and the like...would like a few more large ones.

Stew,

Your question surprises me. I use them whenever I need to clamp something that needs high pressure and that they will fit. My main use of "C" clamps in making laminations out of thin stock for boxes or turning blanks. I use them when gluing up panels like table tops to hold the boards flat (in the same plane) both at the ends and with cauls. I use them to hold boards together when I am screwing them to prevent bridging or other movement. I use them to fix work, jigs, or fixtures to the bench.

Mine run from 1" to 9". I have some cheap ones that I bought in my hacker days (aluminum and pot metal) and some proper ones (iron). The cheap ones still work but occasionally break. Get good ones.

Doug

Small ones, up to about 4", are constantly useful, and easier than F-clamps in those dimensions.

The larger ones are mainly useful, yes, in carpentry; but I used two just the other day to clamp a temporary fence to the drill press.

Practically never.

I use them all the time. Helping hands as needed...adding a clamping caul to a panel glue-up....holding a board to the bench while I chop dovetails/ mortises/ fingerjoints. One end of a board in the leg vise, the other is c clamped to the side of the bench. If I need to gang up a stack of parts, to joint them all the same size...a c clamp works just fine....
    clamped up.jpg
    Stack of 4 frames.
    kickers.jpg
    Couple of helping hands, as needed..
    Jack planed.jpg
    Helping the leg vise....
    both ends done.jpg
    Holding a board in place, for chopping dovetails...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I use them all the time. Helping hands as needed...adding a clamping caul to a panel glue-up....holding a board to the bench while I chop dovetails/ mortises/ fingerjoints. One end of a board in the leg vise, the other is c clamped to the side of the bench. If I need to gang up a stack of parts, to joint them all the same size...a c clamp works just fine....

Jack planed.jpg
    Helping the leg vise....
    both ends done.jpg
    Holding a board in place, for chopping dovetails...
    Your last two images seem to show woodworking clamps rather than the usual C-clamps.

Simon

First one is a welder's clamp..with a copper threaded bolt. Second one is a "Bessy"....I still treat both AS C clamps. Eagle eyed folks will also note there are a few C clamps hanging on that old drawer front.