Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: advice purchase CBN wheel

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Rizza's web site says the new Spartan wheels have the CBN electroplated onto steel with an aluminum center. He doesn't specifically describe the nylon wheels but a quick call would answer the question.
    The entire wheel is aluminum ... over 9½ pounds worth of aluminum on the 2 inch wide X 10 inch diameter Tormek wheel. On the three or four worn through spots it is obvious that it is aluminum beneath. Normally, copper is first electroplated onto aluminum as an intermediate layer since nickel apparently won't directly electroplate to aluminum very well. It might be that the top layer is an alloy of nickel and iron. I have a stack of 32 rare earth magnets that is incredibly powerful and is like a black hole grabbing fine metal dust in the vicinity of my grinder. I tried to see if there was any attraction for the CBN wheel. As best as I could determine there wasn't any attraction. This doesn't men that there wasn't any iron, but if there is it's such a tiny amount that I couldn't detect it.
    Bill

I too have the 180 wheels from Hurricane Turning tools Steve is a great guy to buy from.

I called Ken Rizza - some info on his web site on the Spartan wheels was accidentally incorrect. He said this:

At present, the only nylon wheel is 10"x2" made for the Tormek. It does have the CBN grit electroplated onto a steel band with nickel. This is the only wheel he sells that uses some steel.
    The aluminum Spartan wheels are made like his other aluminum wheels, with a coating on the 8" aluminum and the CBN grit electroplated on top with nickel.

He will change the text on the web site to make it correct.

I have two of the non-Spartan aluminum CBN wheels and they are indeed heavy. Mine have grit down the sides as well as on the face. I don't have any worn through spots on any of my wheels but I do use a light touch.

You are wise to use magnets to try to catch the dust. Better use a dust mask too. I found fine steel dust on strong magnets on the back of my bandsaw over 10' from my sharpening station. With a strong light and a dark background I can see the dust floating in the air just like talcum powder of ultra fine sawdust.

JKJ

I called Ken Rizza - some info on his web site on the Spartan wheels was accidentally incorrect. He said this:

At present, the only nylon wheel is 10"x2" made for the Tormek. It does have the CBN grit electroplated onto a steel band with nickel. This is the only wheel he sells that uses some steel.
    The aluminum Spartan wheels are made like his other aluminum wheels, with a coating on the 8" aluminum and the CBN grit electroplated on top with nickel.

He will change the text on the web site to make it correct.

I have two of the non-Spartan aluminum CBN wheels and they are indeed heavy. Mine have grit down the sides as well as on the face. I don't have any worn through spots on any of my wheels but I do use a light touch.

You are wise to use magnets to try to catch the dust. Better use a dust mask too. I found fine steel dust on strong magnets on the back of my bandsaw over 10' from my sharpening station. With a strong light and a dark background I can see the dust floating in the air just like talcum powder of ultra fine sawdust.

JKJ
    I apologize for not paying close enough attention when I read your previous post. I thought that you were talking about the Tornado CBN wheel for the Tormek, but when I read it again I realized that you were talking about the Spartan having a steel band around the nylon hub.

I cleaned up my CBN wheel with a brass bristled brush yesterday and it looks much better and the CBN crystals actually sparkle now. I've had a bottle of Honerite Gold anti corrosion concentrate for nearly a year so I decided that I might as well use it. Doing some units conversion I came up with 151 ml per gallon of water. I used an empty Gatorade gallon jug and it was spooky how closely the green color matched the original color of the lemon-lime Gatorade that had been in the jug.

A couple observations:
    1. the metal dust in the trough isn't rusting which is different from using plain water and
    2. The mixture clings to the wheel more than plain water.

Anyway, I'll see how my Gatorade experiment goes. If the wheel doesn't corrode then I'll consider the test a success.

The new Tormek diamond wheels must be used with their similar proprietary anti corrosion additive. They say to not use plain water.
    Last edited by Bill Boehme; 08-04-2018 at 9:17 AM.
    Bill

It always amazed me how a water solution cutting fluid did not cause rust. I've been using some on my horizontal metal-cutting bandsaw for years, recirculated by a pump.

It always amazed me how a water solution cutting fluid did not cause rust. I've been using some on my horizontal metal-cutting bandsaw for years, recirculated by a pump.
    The corrosion inhibitors adsorb onto the surface of the metal, forming a physical barrier that prevents in this case rust.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The Tool Post over there carries CBN wheels...

robo hippy

BTW, the first shipment of diamond wheels arrived at US dealers on August 3, but were already sold out when they arrived because of the waiting list of pre-orders. The next shipment isn't expected until October. The diamond wheels are steel and come in three grits: 320, 600, and 1200. They can be used on HSS, ceramic (which might include stellite), and carbides.
    Bill

Stellite, like Tantung cuts fine on CBN wheels. I might need one diamond wheel for my Tormek, though at present, all I use it for is honing..... Curiosity can be expensive....

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Curiosity can be expensive....
    robo hippy
    I need that on a sign in my shop.

JKJ