Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading material for profile grinding. Wadkin NX

Reading material for profile grinding. Wadkin NX

I just bought a Wadkin NX profile grinder, no manual of course, but I am figuring it out. But general guidelines or videos would be helpful as I know Jack about grinding. So while I am re-habing the machine I would like to read some. Did a couple of different searches and there does not seem to be a lot on the subject out there, especially for the old manual machines. Any advise or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks, Larry

Manual, though poorly reproduced and the watermark is a pain

http://www.wadkin.com/uploads/files/...rts%20List.pdf

Manual for the NV which may be of use and easier to read

https://www.daltonswadkin.com/wp-con...Parts-List.pdf

NX cut sheet

https://files.hoechsmann.com/lexikon...en.pdf?lang=de

NX manual with no watermark

https://www.advancedmachinery.co.uk/...ment/NXnew.pdf
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 07-30-2018 at 5:08 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks Van. I found a couple of these after I posted, but not the two better ones.

had looked on the net previously and not found much info. Some machines and guys grinding but not that machine. New stuff comes on all the time though. Did you buy Igors machine?

No Warren, I found one up by Minnesota. I did see that one for sale. but no. People have videos of every thing under the sun, but have not seen one on grinding yet. How to pick your nose in the shower, but grinding, not so much.

dont feel bad Larry im setting up the small slider onto the sliding table now new bearings in, there is no info I could find on a number of times over a month looking.

Manual has nothing and same with the you tube. you can find anything as most people know however i guess in this case its a tech setting things up. Dial indicator has been my friend and a straight edge its likely not final stuff im doing but its putting it more on track than it was. Dial shows me stuff and im putting numbers down then use it to see the changes I made as well put numbers on things. so far pretty good.

There is stuff to learn on grinders, one of the supply places here runs a course on grinding on a Weinig model think its 600.00 approx for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    People have videos of every thing under the sun, but have not seen one on grinding yet. How to pick your nose in the shower, but grinding, not so much.
    Wanna see a cat eating an ear of corn while it sits on the owners back while he rides a unicycle in a snow storm, you can probably find it on YOutube...

While not your machine and I don't know if applicable at all but I did find this

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have the NX grinder. I haven't used it in years. It needs restoration. I would be glad to answer questions as best as I can. It's relatively simple to operate. Like a key machine, but with more adjustments.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

and this

and this

If anyone knows of a "How to grind profile knives for dummies" kind of book I need more on the theory. For example there is a way to set relief on the cuts by tilting the head, but the actual process I do not know and the manuals do not cover that. Say you are grinding an arc, do you relieve both sides, and if so in what order. Or, am I just making things more complicated than they need to be as I am prone to do.

Yeah,relieve both sides. But I've ordered a couple of sets over the years that were not relieved even though I specified it.
    Without it you start to see burned sides pretty quick. I might have misunderstood your question. All grinding is done on the corugated side.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 07-31-2018 at 8:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    If anyone knows of a "How to grind profile knives for dummies" kind of book I need more on the theory. For example there is a way to set relief on the cuts by tilting the head, but the actual process I do not know and the manuals do not cover that. Say you are grinding an arc, do you relieve both sides, and if so in what order. Or, am I just making things more complicated than they need to be as I am prone to do.
    This would help a lot. Also gives you one of the best reference for shaper work there is.

https://www.amazon.ca/Spindle-Moulde.../dp/0854421505

Larry, did you come to Minnesota and not visit me?

[QUOTE=Martin Wasner;2835659]Larry, did you come to Minnesota and not visit me?[/QUOTE.

Duluth, not really close.