Thread: How well would a sliding table saw work for segmented rings?

How well would a sliding table saw work for segmented rings?

I have been heavily thinking about purchasing a sliding table saw. One of the things I have been wondering about is if it will work for segmented rings. I know they are highly accurate on cuts, so it seems to me they would be pretty good. I really like creating segmented vessels and this would be part of my consideration. I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks,

Ash

Look up "wedgie sled". You wont need the slider.

I use the Incra 5000
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

By all means buy a sliding table if you want one. I prefer a sled for segmented rings. I hane a sliding table on my saw and an incra sled miter gauge combo

I have an Incra Express and I made a wedgie sled. Both work very well. I would think that a sliding table saw would be serious overkill for cutting segments, no? Maybe, it's because the only slider that I have used is in a commercial shop and the saw is HUGE. I wouldn't think of moving all that mass to cut a small segment.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Segments are just a part I do with my current saw. I just wanted to make sure I was good to cut them. I really want this saw for trimming up my own lumber and sheet goods. I know its probably overkill for my little shop, but I really like how accurate and safe they are.

Ash

A slider can indeed be operational for what you ask about, although it will still be best served using a sled to physically hold the workpiece as you are cutting the segments. The difference will be that the sled will be physically carried through the cut on the slider's wagon rather than guided by miter slots, etc. You may have multiple sleds to accommodate multiple angles that you might use and these would be supported and guided by a fence on the slider wagon. The result should be pretty darn precise. And yes...you get the other benefits of a slider, too, if you want to make the investment. I personally wouldn't go back to a North American design table saw...if I had to downsize my shop, I'd just get a smaller slider.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When i first got my slider I wondered about the same thing. I experimented using some MDF. Using my MitreX and air clamps, I got perfect results.
    BE252911-DBDC-4C4D-BFC9-AD7BFB7266D7.jpgFD87C952-CFA6-41F0-BF5D-43551AC7A9EE.jpg

not sure if this is usable with a slider but it looks pretty nifty to me
    https://miterset.myshopify.com/

I cut segments on my slider using two wedgie bars on the wagon, works great. A sled on a normal table saw would work just as well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Lee, NC View Post
    not sure if this is usable with a slider but it looks pretty nifty to me
    https://miterset.myshopify.com/
    It not only looks nifty, it works like a charm(with 10" table saw). No math needed, just set number of sides, set miter gauge and cut. What little I've used it I got perfect cuts.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I've only ever had 10' sliders, so my opinion is based on larger saws. Personally, I though they are extremely capable, I find sliders to unwieldy for cutting large numbers of small precision parts.

For precise segment cutting on my Unisaw I use a MiterSet Segments jig to precisely set my Delta miter gauge. Just by moving two hardened steel pins to hole positions marked by the number of segments needed, it will precisely set my Delta miter gauge to cut the segment angles very accurately and no math is needed. It can be set to any number of segments up to 20. You also need to clamp the work to the miter gauge and against a stop to get the precise length of each segment correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFeR9JBfI7c

Charley

A slider works great... I made this table a few years back, 24 quarter sawn segments in cherry. Made a jig to glue 4 segments at a time, then I glued 3 sections of 4 to make a half, then glued the two halves together. Angles came out within a few thousandths, I re-cut the two halves on the straight to make sure they went perfect.

IMG_1946.jpgIMG_1948.jpgIMG_1949.jpgIMG_1951.jpgIMG_2462.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600