Thread: Apothecary Chest - new knobs

Apothecary Chest - new knobs

When I attached the metal knobs (too large and not right ... ugh!), I was swayed by Lynndy, who said to place the knobs square to the drawer front, since she liked the idea of them fanning from the front of the chest and accentuating the curve. In practice, this was not a good idea. Opening the drawers felt wierd - one is used to a drawer opening in the directing of the pull. These drawers did not do so. The opened at an angle to the pull. It felt wierd. Lynndy thought it charming. She is wierd.

Having turned new Black Walnut knobs to match the drawer fronts, against the advice of some who argued for dark, perhaps Ebony knobs, I know had to decide how I would fit them. As before? No, I did not want that. I wanted to set the square to the drawer recess.

There were two issues here: how to drill them the same as each other.? It would look a mess if some varied out of line. And then there was the fact that the drawer fronts curves and angled, which meant that the knobs would go in at an angle. One side would sit in- and the other side proud of the surface.

I designed a couple of jigs to drill accurately. Fortunately I did not waste time making them ( I have no time in the kitty to get this piece ready for the upcoming West Australian Woodshow. It is days away). The simplest solution occurred to me last night. Use the drill press. Duh!

All that was needed was to ensure the drawer was held vertically, and then use progressively larger bits until the size I needed (3/8"), the tenon of the knob.

That went smoothly.

The holes were then widened slightly on one side with a step drill bit to allow to seat the knobs evenly.

I have begun installing the knobs with wedges. The cabinet and drawer fronts have had a coat of Livos oil, and you can now get an idea of how the knobs blend in (the drawers are proud of the cabinet as the oil is drying)

I completed the base for the chest this afternoon, but I am not thrilled with the design. I'll make a decision tomorrow whether to use it or not.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's a tough call: Listen to spouse vs. listen to intuition... hope Lynndy is as pleased with the new knobs as you are (I think you went the right way and bet the subtle detail of the curve across the bottom of the inset knob adds to the effect of the curved front when examined closely).

Best of luck with the base and the final prep for the show!

Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Whatever you decide I expect it will be great. Not that it matters, but from the picture, I like it.

That looks great.

Good luck in the show.

I thought you would orient the knobs like this when I first saw them. Looking great!!

Those knobs look very nice compared to the previous ones Derek.

The chest is coming together beautifully.

Blog Entries
    Very nice, good luck at the show.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim. However, I have made a late decision not to enter. The chest has come out perfectly, but the base is not a good match in regard to design. As a piece on its own, it is very striking (Lynndy loves it), but the two do not complement each other the way I would like. There is no time to build another base. So, I shall go back to the drawing board in this regard. I can always enter the completed apothecary chest next year.

The base ...

There is lots of interesting detail. I did so much shaping on compound curves here ...

I have thoughts now for a different approach.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 07-31-2018 at 1:51 PM.

Derek,

You might reconsider your trepidation. Your chest has a modern look, and I think the base matches it perfectly. Why not give it a go? Do you think the muscular look of the chest is not balanced against the more refined base?

Be interested to hear what your concerns are.

Pete

Great work on the chest and knobs Derek. I was one of the ones who wanted to see a darker (albeit not Ebony black) knobs but readily granted that you and the wife were the ones to make that call. Her choice works just fine. Is there anyway that you can mate the chest to the (now deleted) base so we can have a look see? Like Pete, I like the understated, flowing base lines but would have to see them together to have a better idea. Again, your project, your idea/decision rules. Thanks for sharing throughout the whole project.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Thanks Jim. However, I have made a late decision not to enter. The chest has come out perfectly, but the base is not a good match in regard to design. As a piece on its own, it is very striking (Lynndy loves it), but the two do not complement each other the way I would like. There is no time to build another base. So, I shall go back to the drawing board in this regard. I can always enter the completed apothecary chest next year.

The base ...

There is lots of interesting detail. I did so much shaping on compound curves here ...

I have thoughts now for a different approach.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I'd love to see both together to get a better appreciation of the pair

I have a plan. More later.

Regards from Perth

Derek