Thread: Long Term Wood Veneer Storage / Climate Control?

Long Term Wood Veneer Storage / Climate Control?

I have a lot of veneer (about a pallet full) and have not had a problem with storing it as it has been in the basement at my house. (live in Michigan) But since I am in the process of downsizing I may not have a basement to store it in and I am concerned about storage and what the climate and temperature can do to the veneer. How are others storing your veneers in the not most ideal conditions to ensure long term storage for future projects? Currently I store it all flat and with sheet stock in layers on top to keep it flat. Do you have a special veneer room / closest with climate control and if so what kind of equipment are you using to ensure the moisture in the veneer and at what temp and humidity levels are the best conditions for the veneer? If you have some pictures of your controlled areas,and equipment or how you are keeping it that would be great for ideas as well.

Thanks
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

How many beds do you have in the house? Before I had a climate controlled shop I kept my most valuable veneer under guest room beds.

If I had a pallet load I would spread out a plastic tarp (from HF for example) roll the pallet onto the middle, properly weight the top and fold up the tarp and tape all the seams.

As for perfect conditions I don't know the recommendation but I have never had any issues with long term storage at (my) house/garage's normal temp and RH. Both stay between 68 and 78 degrees and 35 and 44% RH. Both my homes are in relatively high humidity areas compared to a lot of people so I don't have to worry about it dropping too low in the winter.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van, as far as storage under beds I have done that before with small quantity’s but currently I have too much, and it would not work. But thanks for the idea.
    I know that moisture is the key with too much and possibly causing mold and too little as to making the veneer to brittle and hard to work with. Not sure if the temp matters so much as the moisture content.
    Last edited by richard poitras; 07-31-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

A friend and I have a large volume stored in a couple different places. Some in a metal building, some in my basement, and some in his shop. We are in the south so humidity gets pretty high.
    Overall, it has fared pretty well, with the biggest learning being to keep something flat on it to keep it from curling, and to tap the edges of single sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Porter View Post
    A friend and I have a large volume stored in a couple different places. Some in a metal building, some in my basement, and some in his shop. We are in the south so humidity gets pretty high.
    Overall, it has fared pretty well, with the biggest learning being to keep something flat on it to keep it from curling, and to tap the edges of single sheets.

Do you know what kind of humidity levels they were at?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006