Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Limiter shaper tooling (MAN) discussion

I should add that the Felder/Hammer safety bars come with the hardware to mount them to thier aluminum fence as well as hardware to add them to a wood fence as I have done.
    I've seen a picture of an SCM version of these bars somewhere before, just don't remember where.
    I don't have a SCM/Minimax retailer anywhere near me that I know of, but there is a Felder dealer about an hour away so that was the easy way for me.

I end up doing lots of one off stuff in my shop and find this quicker and easier than making breakthrough inserts for short runs.

I was surprised at how affordable those safety bars are from Felder. This thread got me on their web page which is very dangerous...

Brent

The Felder safety bars fit well with Freeborn panel raising cutters. The Felder spindle bushings are fairly large diameter so the bars need to be fairly thin in depth to get clearance for the cutter and my 7/16" tongue. I have Aigner plates but just clamp on my Felder bars screwed to my subfence for panels. Pretty cheap and easier than replacing the bushings with a smaller diameter. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    I was surprised at how affordable those safety bars are from Felder. This thread got me on their web page which is very dangerous...

Brent
    Ha, it's all a plot by Felder, they lure you in, then like the Borg, resistance will be futile.

I added those to my shaper, as well as to a friend's shaper.

They're great, easy to use, quick to install..............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I added those to my shaper, as well as to a friend's shaper.

They're great, easy to use, quick to install..............Rod.
    When I first seen yours I thought it was a great idea. Then when I found out you could fit them to a wood fence I was sold. Thanks for that.

Did your friend all so have the Felder aluminum fence?

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post

Brent
    You will have to try a set now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delyster View Post
    I’m a little late to the discussion, but I’ve used the Felder/Hammer Safety Bar kit on a couple of shapers.
    Not as handy as the Aigner, but not as costly either. I believe SCM all so make bars similar to these.
    http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...ction-set.html

Here are a couple of pictures, I all so make breakthrough inserts to put in place of the bars similar to what Brent does.
    This is what I love about SMC, even thread jacks bring tons of great information, that and it helps me spend my money, however, that part I usually don't have much trouble with...

You answered in a followup that they add the hardware to connect to a wood fence which is great and I was going to ask how much trouble it was. Plus with the tenon you can switch from fingers to breakthrough quickly and painlessly. Thanks for the post!!!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    This is what I love about SMC, even thread jacks bring tons of great information, that and it helps me spend my money, however, that part I usually don't have much trouble with...

You answered in a followup that they add the hardware to connect to a wood fence which is great and I was going to ask how much trouble it was. Plus with the tenon you can switch from fingers to breakthrough quickly and painlessly. Thanks for the post!!!

Exactly, this is great information! My wife has my wallet hidden somewhere though. She saw the look on my face when I was looking at the Felder site and somehow knew what was up. Gotta work on the poker face.....

I should add that the Felder/Hammer safety bars come with the hardware to mount them to thier aluminum fence as well as hardware to add them to a wood fence as I have done.
    I've seen a picture of an SCM version of these bars somewhere before, just don't remember where.
    I don't have a SCM/Minimax retailer anywhere near me that I know of, but there is a Felder dealer about an hour away so that was the easy way for me.

I end up doing lots of one off stuff in my shop and find this quicker and easier than making breakthrough inserts for short runs.
    The price is right ($58) but 4-8 weeks delivery is sad. Did people order the 3mm or 6mm versions?
    Is that the depth of the bars, or the height of them?
    Mark McFarlane

I have come close to ordering the Whitehall head several times if for no other reason than they have a huge selection of cutters, and some very attractive profiles that don't show up on this side of the pond. I just bought a grinder so no real need now but I am still curious, if you get one post your impressions. Nice feeder you picked up, nice going from vertical to horizontal with that type.

Have fun.......

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    The price is right ($58) but 4-8 weeks delivery is sad. Did people order the 3mm or 6mm versions?
    Is that the depth of the bars, or the height of them?
    I think you are looking at different parts than what I was talking about.
    Here try this link again:http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...ction-set.html

You want the Safety Bar Guide Self-Construction Set.
    It comes with both two 1/4” (6mm) and two 1/8” (3mm) bars. As well as the hardware to install it.
    The 1/4” and 1/8” is height of the bars.

I think he was looking at the add-on bars on the following page.

I think you are looking at different parts than what I was talking about.
    Here try this link again:http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...ction-set.html

You want the Safety Bar Guide Self-Construction Set.
    It comes with both two 1/4” (6mm) and two 1/8” (3mm) bars. As well as the hardware to install it.
    The 1/4” and 1/8” is height of the bars.

Apparently I was looking at the add-on bars that Mark mentioned. Looks like I'll modify my current fence to easily take wood ZCIs.
    Mark McFarlane

I haven looked up what you guys are talking about but one thing about shaper fences is they are annoying. Ive had a number of them and they are never parrellel to each other and both square to the table. When you make them right and are back using them the next time they are off again. One thing about a break through fence is its straight and one line. I like that aspect of it. Fences im talking about on different machines mostly SCM and one poitras on my first shaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have come close to ordering the Whitehall head several times if for no other reason than they have a huge selection of cutters, and some very attractive profiles that don't show up on this side of the pond. I just bought a grinder so no real need now but I am still curious, if you get one post your impressions. Nice feeder you picked up, nice going from vertical to horizontal with that type.

Have fun.......
    I'm rethinking the Whitehall head. I corresponded with them today, its 6-7 days before they can ship, and another week for me to receive the package, and $53 to ship. That's a total of $362 for the insert head with a single T&G profile of knives/limiters.

I've asked what the shipping is for a set of knives/limiters by themselves. If it's over $10 I may go a different way. Requiring both knives and limiters for every profile, then adding international shipping and the delay, makes getting new profiles quite expensive for a hobby shop. I need to build 8 cabinet doors now, maybe 30-40 more of the same T&G profile in the next few years, then I'm done with building cabinet doors.

Since I bought a power feeder, I'm thinking (perhaps incorrectly) that I don't need a MAN head with limiters
    . Or maybe I should bite the bullet and get the Whitehall set. The money itself isn't a deal breaker, but there is a belt sander somewhere calling my name, and money is money...

Amana has a set of carbide T&G heads with an adjustable groove width that meets my immediate needs, and I can have them in a few days. The adjustable groove seems like a helpful feature. I'd still end up eventually buying a 40mm insert head, but probably one from Amana without limiters.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking today, tomorrow may be different.... This 'first shaper head' decision has been more of a struggle than I expected.
    Mark McFarlane