Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

30 Jul 2018

Greetings,
    It's been a challenging week for me and working very high profile projects have been the daily choice for me. I'm still waiting for fall, winter, and spring to show up and summer to go away.
    The LOML and I have made the choice to go through the Dave Ramsey program of Financial Peace University. We are learning so much and realizing so many mistakes across the past years of our life. We are committing to making many of this right going forward. Now if I can just teach my kids how to do the same.
    I have lots of woodworking plans for this fall and winter. My work will begin in the shop near the end of August after the hottest part of the summer has gone. Good times ahead!

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

The biggest thing for the past week was firing my accountant, setting things up myself and bringing the business live. (Accountant had undisclosed health issues and just wasn't doing any work that had been paid for) And I received my first order last night...'just waiting for the deposit. Otherwise, I did a lot of shop cleanup this past week, including getting the remaining reclaimed kitchen upper cabinets hung over my sheet goods rack, reorganizing my finishing supplies and sending out a few proposals/quotes. Sunday, I finally got around to cutting up the cherry tree that collapsed during a recent storm, just missing my trailer and tractor. It was big enough that I managed to set aside three 6' or so logs for future milling...I have a lot more ash to come down that will also provide some lumber opportunities. A few of those ash trees are really big...slab material maybe...but are close to the house and Professor Dr. SWMBO's honeybees, so that part of the job will have to wait until the fall and when I have the shekels available to have my tree guy come in and safely bring them down. The BigOrangePowerTool is always quite helpful for these tasks...

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finished my new clamp racks and got them mounted. Nice to have everything in one place. Did some re-arranging of my tool wall (had to make room for a couple of additions). I'm a little OCD when it comes to my shop which has it's good and bad points.
    Haven't figured out how to post pictures yet but will post some when I do.

I started work re-sheeting the end wall in the lounge room. The starting point was the need to move a door to allow better warm air transfer to a bedroom. Moving the door means changing the bracing. The solution is to put up brace ply instead of plasterboard. The entire wall will be covered with library shelving so the sheeting will never be seen again. The ply is F27 kapur veneer.

Yesterday we headed into the bush and selected a wild cherry tree to use as a centre pole in the kitchen. Wild cherry is rich pink through to red. It is as hard as hell and gives your tooling a hiding. The species grows off another tree's roots but it is a symbiotic partnership with the host.

Other than that, it has been wet, wet, wet. All our tanks and dams are overflowing. Cheers

Another weekend out of the shop and into the river for a bit of fly fishing. Had a great time watching about a dozen little brook trout feeding in a seam over a rocky bed. Got a few to take a tiny fly. While I love the shop time, it’s nice to get out into some nature from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    And I received my first order last night...'just waiting for the deposit.
    Jim, Congrats on your first official gig! I haven't been keeping up with the Creek posts--I take it that you're starting off on your own , and leaving the corporate life behind completely? It's promising to see someone else who's not in the Spring of their years, so to speak, taking this leap forward. All the best to you!

Mike, I retired from full time work on 30 September of last year. I've been doing commission work for a number of years (primarily high-end tack trunks for equestrians), so this is more of a "formal" start-up, rather than something completely new. It's a transition from "hobby" to "business" with all the trappings like incorporation, insurance, advertising, accounting, etc. What's really interesting is that I also received a call from my former employer yesterday asking me to do 80-120 hours of consulting work for a large, Federal tender by an agency that I handled for almost 7 years. No way am I going to turn down that kind of money... LOL Life as a "house husband" is good.
    --

Mike, I retired from full time work on 30 September of last year. I've been doing commission work for a number of years (primarily high-end tack trunks for equestrians), so this is more of a "formal" start-up, rather than something completely new. It's a transition from "hobby" to "business" with all the trappings like incorporation, insurance, advertising, accounting, etc. What's really interesting is that I also received a call from my former employer yesterday asking me to do 80-120 hours of consulting work for a large, Federal tender by an agency that I handled for almost 7 years. No way am I going to turn down that kind of money... LOL Life as a "house husband" is good.
    LOL - sounds like another case of someone who works just as hard, if not harder, in their retirement years. This kind of ruins the fantasy for those of us that would like to end up idling away our Winter years fishing and wood working

True, but my time is my time now. If I'm not feeling motivated on a given day, I'm only responsible to myself...and yes, there are days like that. I've also lost some weight because I'm more active/standing than I was prior to retirement and I have more variety in my day now. I'm not intending the business to be "full time"...it's more or less an opportunity to do what I enjoy, maybe make a few shekels at home rather than working in a super market or something until I'm 66.5yo and can start to take "full" SS, etc. If it works out, great...if not, impact on taxes will cover some of the startup costs (the CNC) and I still have fun long term.
    --

True, but my time is my time now. ... If it works out, great...if not, impact on taxes will cover some of the startup costs (the CNC) and I still have fun long term.
    Sounds like you've figured out the meaning of Life