Thread: Mast-R-Lift II router install range

Mast-R-Lift II router install range

All,
    I finished putting together my Mast-R-Lift Excel II router table a while ago and finally got the opportunity to get a bit into it and try a few test routs. When I assembled the table/lift assembly, I followed the instructions; bottomed out the router and then pulled it back about 1/16" inch then tightened down the lift clamps. I put in a 1/2" Whiteside spiral cut bit, which is a fairly long bit. When cranking down the router, I could not get the bit below the level of the table - still stood up about 3/8" or so. To be able to zero out the bit, I had to loosen the Mast-R-Lift II carriage and move the router down and clamp it back in place.
    For those of you with the JessEm Mast-R-Lift II, have any of you had to move the router further down in the clamps to allow the bit to be lowered below (or flush with) the table? I realize the Excel is slightly different in that the router is raised and lowered with the crank rather than the tools in the top, but I would expect the range of travel to be the same or very similar and the "rules" around clamping the router in place to be the same.

Thanks for any advice.

Dean

Did you lower the router lift's posts to it's very bottom position? Is that what you meant by "bottomed out the router"? Because I just got the Incra Mast-R-Lift II recently as well and mounted the big boy Porter Cable 7518 and the bit didn't clear the top of the table when I lowered the lift down to the very bottom. Turns out that the lift came with it being half down, so by lowering it all the way and then mounting the router, I'd get full clearance. It took an hour of scratching my head before I realized this. The picture in the instruction also show the position of the lift when you mount the router.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, Brian. That never occurred to me and I don't remember seeing any reference to it in any of the videos or written instructions. It was probably mentioned, I just didn't notice. That would make sense because the travel is quite a bit less than I would have expected. This is a long bit, but not abnormall long and nothing that I would not expect that lift to be designed to accommodate.

Thanks again for the tip.

Dean

On a related note, for anyone considering the Mast-R-Lift Excel II table... I do like the crank lift mechanism and would likely purchase again, but there is the matter of access to the router motor after assembly. With the Mast-R-Lift II, you can easily remove the lift/plate assembly to make adjustments like Brian described. With the Excel system, you have to make those adjustments inside the cabinet. Not a big deal, but definitely a little more difficult. Would have been easier if I hadn't already partially built the enclosure around the stand. I can only access from the front.

Dean