Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ordering a fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    If it came FedEx freight how far away is the terminal? Go get it if its not far.
    Ohhh....Bill... I would LOVE to go get it. Terminal at CLT airport is 20mins from the house. Lady at fedex said I can't b/c its still in a sealed container that hasn't been unpacked yet. I lost it on the phone with her at that point.

On a side note and this might be a dumb question but can I run my CO2 and fiber off of the same laptop? Or is the same sort of deal as with two CO2 machines in that you need 2 pc's?
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Tull View Post
    Ohhh....Bill... I would LOVE to go get it. Terminal at CLT airport is 20mins from the house. Lady at fedex said I can't b/c its still in a sealed container that hasn't been unpacked yet. I lost it on the phone with her at that point.

On a side note and this might be a dumb question but can I run my CO2 and fiber off of the same laptop? Or is the same sort of deal as with two CO2 machines in that you need 2 pc's?
    There should be no problem running both machines off one computer as long as it has enough memory and cpu power anyway. The only problem may be if the software for your particular machines don't get along well. The only real issue with two lasers on one computer are, for example, if you have two Trotecs and they both run on JobControl, there is no way to tell JC which machine you are sending the job to. Likely the same with two fibers that use the same software. Both of my fibers are stand-alone systems with the computer inside the base of the laser.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Both of my fibers are stand-alone systems with the computer inside the base of the laser.
    I was wondering if there was a computer inside the tower. I guess we'll see if FedEx every delivers it. If there isn't, I'll try and run it off of my laptop.
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Blog Entries
    Very few of the lasers have a computer sent with it now. My PC runs my two. A CO2 running RDworks, and Fiber running Ezcad.
    I use Corel for all of the CO2 design, and for most of the fiber's stuff except for simple text. (BTW, be aware ezcad won't weld script font and will overlap) unless I've missed it.
    I run jobs simultaneously on both, sending rld files to CO2 laser and dxf to the fiber.
    Good luck getting it! I will say DHL surprised me with their prompt delivery
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

FWIW, just in my garage I run my fiber, the big Triumph, the Explorer (USB), my big IS7000 (LPT port) and my 3400 cylinder engraver (serial port) all from a Dell Optiplex 760...

In my basement I have 8 machines connected to 3 computers, 2 of which are old XP's that do nothing but act as 'printer servers', just something to connect the machines to. The 3rd is my go-to Dell Precision, and all jobs to all machines originate from this computer. I can also send jobs to all the garage machines from this computer if I want. And running machines seems to do nothing to computer resources. Running all the programs, yes

So as long as your laptop has enough USB ports for dongles & machines you should be good to go!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Someone at FedEx is lying to you. It can not clear US Customs still sealed in the shipping container. I would take all your documents with you along with your ID and go see whats going on. DHL was fine for me.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

So I FINALLY got it today. One of my lenses didn't make it into the box or through customs, not sure which. I have emails RayFine to figure out which.

I noticed that the laser key has to be on for EZCad to work fully. With the key off, EZCad cannot find the dongle and will only work in demo mode. Is that normal?
    Last edited by Trey Tull; 09-18-2018 at 8:57 PM.
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Yes normal. No dongle, program works, laser doesn't
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Next I aligned the two laser pointer dots and then tried to engrave TEXT onto some anodized aluminum. It just made a dot and nothing else. Is there a "Fiber Laser + EzCad for dummies' starter guide? hahah

Thanks guys!

EDIT: turns out there is an adapter that needs to be added to the 200x200 lens. It was on the 70x70 and I didn't realize it. So now I'm back to just missing one lens.
    Last edited by Trey Tull; 09-18-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop