Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happens when wood shrinks?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Magone View Post
    Thanks all. You confirmed my suspicions. I did add the construction adhesive per the OZ-post manufactuer's recommendations. I'll have to go back and check on them in a couple years and see what they are like.

The only other question that I would have is that a common way of setting posts is to use concrete. Concrete won't flex when wood shrinks, but I don't think posts set in concrete wobble?
    Concrete set posts keep the wood wet, as the concrete sucks in the moisture in the soil around it. It them wicks up the post, causing wet/dry cycles at the level on the post where the open air can dry it somewhat. It's like bog oak can be used as lumber 20,000 years after the tree submerged, but if a branch was sticking up above the water, it's no longer around.

The best fencepost in this area is a "hedge" post, it's osage orange inthe rough, but they last a very long time when just bedded in dirt.

These bases work much, much better with a steel post. They get used extensively this way for road signage. Despite what the manufacturer claims, they are not great with timber. Cheers