Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trench drain ideas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Where do you live, does it freeze there, how deep to permafrost? I assume you want a trench because a drain pipe will freeze solid in winter and take forever to melt enough to flow liquid in the summer when the snow melts. Most people in the lower 48 prefer a buried pipe since they can easily keep it deep enough to prevent freezing.
    Bill D
    Yes, sub-zero at times in winter.
    My question is about a surface drain for runoff.

Why not just use an ACO Drain product? They have lots of options.

The slope is built into the drain and they have different grate options.

You could line it with roof tiles upside down.
    Bil lD.

More info would help, including (gasp) diagrams of the patio with annotation to show the problem and proposed solution. Is there a slope uphill from the patio and you want to divert water that comes down the hill? Or will the drain be somewhere on the patio to carry off water that gets there? If so, how does the water get there?

To prevent water from reaching the patio I use either a french drain for a little water or shape the ground to form a wide, shallow "ditch" to carry away more water. A shallow ditch can be planted in grass or made of of brick or concrete (such as the drainage ditches you see near bridges on interstate highways.)

If you want to move water that runs onto the patio I might instead consider rebuilding the patio to raise it and trench around. If the water is only from rain and lays in low spots, I'd rebuild the patio. If unsure of how to ensure a dry patio you might consult with a professional.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    The patio lays between the concrete block foundation of a room addition and the slab I had poured for the Amish garage.
    I sloped the patio down toward the new slab and need a drain to carry away rainwater that falls on the patio and the gable metal roof of the 20' Amish garage. Since it sits the length of the patio half of the roof runs down on the patio.
    These 2 sources of rainwater are all I need drainage for.

Blog Entries
    This is very much like what I was hoping to find.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Ok, scrap my idea.
    How about hearing from those who've used the prefab channel drains with a grate on top and designed to afix to a down pipe, a 90°, then solid drainage pipe directed to the rear of the lot where the ground slopes gently toward the back. Then either a pop-up or simply a low spot with a strainer to keep out rodents.
    I'd also like to hear some alternate ideas.

Alternate idea: If you are doing a brick patio how about using permeable pavers? If you have somewhat sandy soil the permeable pavers would have no runoff and in some cases can handle othe runoff that is shed towards the paver. You could install a sock drain(s) under the permeable pavers to handle more intense rain events.

But, if your soil is heavy clay then this idea usually doesn’t work without some additional drains.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berrevoets View Post
    Alternate idea: If you are doing a brick patio how about using permeable pavers? ...additional drains.
    The architect did that for an open area where I worked. Dug up the ground and installed a drainage system, put down some type of permeable base, then a decorative permeable concrete surface.

Blog Entries
    Permeable is not an option. Yes, I have heavy clay soil, but I'm also redoing a patio with the original bricks used prior to buying the portable garage. Just a slightly different design and slope.
    To remedy a poor drainage situation in the past I am sloping the patio towards the shed and adding the channel drain. Then simply directing the rainwater (total area 480sq.ft.) to the rear of the lot that slopes to the rear.

I'd also like some suggestions as to what angle grinder to replace my old one. From what I have gathered a good angle grinder can make a huge difference when cutting bricks in half as well as odd shapes for tight spots.

New topic: Angle grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I'd also like some suggestions as to what angle grinder to replace my old one. From what I have gathered a good angle grinder can make a huge difference when cutting bricks in half as well as odd shapes for tight spots.
    Buy quality. I think I have six, Makita, Bosch, Dewalt corded, Dewalt cordless. The Dewalt grinders were the cheapest but still fairly good. The others are over 20 years old, going strong, the biggest differences between them are the type of trigger and the wheel flanges. Keep rock dust cleaned out of the motor.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Hi John. I see some of them also have slow startup....a feature I like.

Best picture I could find look at the bottom and you will see custom? made glazed blue drain tile. This drains the grotto the builder had made by importing Italian stone masons. The tile is only 6-8" wide and a few inches deep. He owned a Quarry with his brother and a paving company. I do not know if this tile came from Italy or was made local by his Friend who owned a pottery factory.
    They couple had no children and donated the mansion and 10 acres of gardens to UC Berkeley. It was used as the Universities Presidents house until they realized how unsafe a cast concrete house within 100 feet of the hayward fault is, source of the spring. The gardens are open to the public. His brothers house was given to become Nunnery so no visitors are allowed there.
    The university rents a similar house 20 miles from campus and pays about 10,000 a month. Many complain about the cost and how disconnected it is from any campus.
    Bill D.

http://www.marvingardens.com/posts/v...ly-on-weekdays
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-04-2018 at 1:03 AM.