Thread: Jet 1642 VFD question

Jet 1642 VFD question

I had to replace the vfd after 15 years. Delta does not make the original but make a slightly different one now. The VFD007S11B. My engineer neighbor has helped with programming but he is not a turner and has never used my lathe. Something just feels different about how it’s running. The old VFD is literally dead so I can’t get the parameters. I contacted JET and they, at least so far, will not give me the parameters. Anyone able to get me the parameters from the inverter motor? Any help is really appreciated.

More useful than the parameters from the old VFD would be the motor parameters since it isn't likely that there is a one-to-one correlation between programming of the two different models. I suspect, however, that they won't tell you that either. I don't know what they expect to gain from being secretive ... certainly not customer loyalty. Most new inverters are sophisticated enough to to go through an auto-tuning process that determines motor performance parameters. If your new inverter has that capability, be sure to follow the auto-tuning procedure exactly as outlined in the operating manual.

In order to improve things you'll need to figure out exactly what is different. Incorrect parameters can cause the motor to be sluggish in response to changes in torque load or speed changes or to be too responsive and overshoot or go into a dead beat limit cycle.
    Bill

I have the original programming for the Jet 1642 VFD. PM me with your e-mail and I’ll forward them to you.

Bill, thanks for your reply. I did wonder about the correlation between the two models. However, the user manual for the old model (VFD007S11A) is the same as the user manual for the new model (VFD007S11B). There are also a number of other models in the same user manual (VFD-S Series). So I am hoping that whatever parameters used for the old one will transfer over to the new one. I've already PMd Mr. Rutherford and hopefully the new parameters will work.

Unfortunate that JET won't provide the support. I looked to buy the inverter motor from them first, but they chart $500.00 more. That's a big markup.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Diez View Post
    I had to replace the vfd after 15 years. Delta does not make the original but make a slightly different one now. The VFD007S11B. My engineer neighbor has helped with programming but he is not a turner and has never used my lathe. Something just feels different about how it’s running. The old VFD is literally dead so I can’t get the parameters. I contacted JET and they, at least so far, will not give me the parameters. Anyone able to get me the parameters from the inverter motor? Any help is really appreciated.
    I wrote down the parameters for the VFD on one of my Jet 1642 lathes (one about 15 years old):

Jet 1642 VFD parameters Delta VFD-S series, 115 volt version
    (I made a note in my manual that this is VFD0075S11A style as shown on pg c-12)

These three parameters are read-only, perhaps are hardwired
    0-00 4 (identity code, read only)
    0-01 4.2 (capacity in amps, read only)
    0-06 2.3 (read only)

These are the parameters different from the defaults
    All other parameters are set to factory defaults according to the Delta manual

1-00 132 Max output frequency
    1-01 60.0 Max voltage frequency
    1-03 5.0 Mid-point frequency
    1-04 20.0 Mid-point voltage
    1-05 5.0 Min output frequency
    1-06 20.0 Min output voltage
    1-09 5.0 Acceleration time
    1-10 5.00 Deceleration time

2-00 1 Master freq determined by analog signal 0v-10v
    Position of jumper J1: top two pins for voltage signal input
    2-01 2 Operation, keyboard stop disabled

4-09 1 Enable line start lockout

6-00 0 Disable over-voltage stall prevention
    6-01 390 for 230v series (should be factory setting)
    6-08 1 Present fault record: over-currrent
    6-09 1 Second most recent fault: over-current
    6-10 1 Third most recent fault: over-current

7-00 120 Motor rated current
    -----end-----

JKJ

Mr. Jordan and Mr. Rutherford - thank you so much for your assistance.

I don't seem to be able to message anyone. Any chance someone could email me the 120v parameters to wlippman@yahoo.com? Thanks.

I will send you the info

I believe you have to be a contributor to use messaging.