Thread: Matsui Kama Kebiki from Suziki tools

Matsui Kama Kebiki from Suziki tools

So I've decided to bite the bullet and purchase a nice Kebiki gauge. It seems that as time goes on, they are harder to come by. I'm looking at those carried by Suziki tools. They sell the 150 mm with double locks and the 150 with magnet.

I've never heard of the magnet one, and so was going to go for the double locks. However I wanted to ask whether anyone is familiar with the magnet version of a Kebiki. Any reason I should choose one over the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    So I've decided to bite the bullet and purchase a nice Kebiki gauge. It seems that as time goes on, they are harder to come by. I'm looking at those carried by Suziki tools. They sell the 150 mm with double locks and the 150 with magnet.

I've never heard of the magnet one, and so was going to go for the double locks. However I wanted to ask whether anyone is familiar with the magnet version of a Kebiki. Any reason I should choose one over the other?
    I have a couple with double locks, use 'em all the time. What I read is the magnet helps setting but I'm not sure I'd trust it to hold the setting. Could be a solution looking for a problem. BTW, when setting a double mark I set the knifes to the chisel first, then lock, follow by setting offset and then lock it down. Quick and easy.

ken

Blog Entries
    I use both and like them for different reasons. The magnet ones are quicker to set, the locking ones are easier to set to a chisel size.

The magnet doesn't hold it in place, it just makes the action smoother.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hmmm... so it doesn't really seem like there is a reason to choose one over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    Hmmm... so it doesn't really seem like there is a reason to choose one over the other.
    You know what the answer is then... gotta get both
    Last edited by Dom Campbell; 07-30-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: spulling

Maybe some day. At these prices, I'll need to wait a while for that. Given that most of my marking gauge use it not setting a gauge to chisel width for a mortice, I'll probably start with the magnetic version.

I've successfully averted my eyes (or at least my wallet) from the Jnat thread.. however, the recent thread on gauges led me to check on TFJ...and it appears Stu has some of the Matsui double locks in stock. Having long been on my list and still a relatively good price, I was not able to resist...

Best,
    Chris