Thread: Lumber storage suggestions

Lumber storage suggestions

In cleaning up and reorganizing my small garage shop, I've decided I need somewhere to put all my lumber. I have a pretty big shed in my yard that I'd like to use for lumber. Attached is a photo of the back wall of the shed, where I'd like the lumber to be stored. The walls are only 2x3 and exterior plywood. The roof is 2x4, TG pine and shingled. I don't trust hanging shelf brackets on the 2x3s and loading them with lumber. I'm looking for suggestions on building a sturdy 1 sided shelving unit that possibly anchors to the wall framing or roof framing but isn't completely reliant on them structurally. I have several large 8/4 slabs that would be stored on the bottom most shelf, possibly supported by the poured concrete floor, and the other shelves would hold anything from 8/4 8ft boards to small 4-5ft length cutoffs. Any suggestions would help, I know there's a lot of engineering minds out there!

IMG_4443.jpg

Dan, the heaviest lumber, on the bottom, could be stacked on members that rest on the floor.

Regarding the rest of the levels, I have had luck with vertical supports attached to the ceiling joists and resting on the floor, about 6"~10" or so out from the wall (depending on how far out from the wall you want to go with your rack and how much weight you plan to put on them), and attaching the horizontal members, out from the wall, to both the wall studs and the vertical supports. This puts all the weight on the added vertical pieces (which means you have to have a good firm surface for them to rest on) and upward pressure on the studs.

I have been able to put much weight on these racks (sometimes I double up the horizontal members, putting one on each side of the stud) and still have the ability to sort through and remove lumber without front supports getting in the way. Admittedly, this does leave a dead space behind the rack which can be used only sparingly for storage but it provides for convenient lumber storage.
    IMG_1262.jpg

Here's another idea :
    IMG_1263.jpg ..although, in your case, with only 2X4 joists, without additional vertical support, you wouldn't be able to put as much weight on it.
    Last edited by Yonak Hawkins; 07-30-2018 at 11:00 AM.

How about sistering the existing 2x3's with a heavier post that transfers the load to the floor? My first thought was a 4x4 in an L configuration with a strong joint like a bridle joint reinforced with some steel at the floor. If you can't picture it I can post a sketch.

Consider used gondola (grocery store) shelving. Comes in 3' and 4' foot sections with various heights. Can be set up using one or two sides, shelves are easily adjustable and they carry a LOT of weight. Almost all metropolitan areas will have somebody that buys/sells retail stores shelving.

My rack is made up of four assemblies, each a 2x6 vertical with 2x4 arms. Each joint is reinforced with a 1/2” ply gusset on both sides. The Arms are 32” long to get 3 from a standard 2x4. As you can see it is plenty strong (and i have too much wood). The longest boards on the bottom are about 14’.

FC570DC6-B22D-4704-B701-960E474084E8.jpg

Combine something from Yonak with something from Robert.

Start your rack with 2 x 6 members on the bottom. These will be the bottom shelf and the base for the 2 x 6 uprights. Set them up to be between the existing studs so you don't waste space. Space them about 42" apart to provide good support and to hold mixed lengths. Install 2 x 4 arms about 14" apart, one each side of each upright. Install 2 x 6 blocking between the arms to hold them up.

Blog Entries
    lumber rack 2.JPGlumber rack 1.JPG

Some more ideas. The vertical member could attach to the 2/3's but, stand on the floor to reduce the stress on the 2x3's.

An alternate to half laps for the arms.

lumber rack 3.JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    An alternate to half laps for the arms. lumber rack 3.JPG

This is what I'm doing, with the sandwiched horizontal supports attached to vertical 2x posts that are screwed into the wall studs.