Thread: Anyone got plans for making a trencher bowl with a router?

Anyone got plans for making a trencher bowl with a router?

I'd like to make a few trencher bowls for friends and family for Christmas, but carving it out by hand is too time-consuming, and honestly, out of my skill set at this time. Does anyone have plans on how to make one using a router and a cove or core box bit? I'm presuming I would have to make a sled of the appropriate size for the dish I want to make.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave

I'm not sure what a trencher bowl is, and gauging from the response to your post, maybe others are unsure too. Can you describe the bowl you want to make? Like height, width, and depth? Is it round, or some other shape? Are the sides vertical, or sloping?

Good point. The ones I've seen are a bit rectangular or oblong, and appear to be rough cut out with a large gouge or other tool. The outside is rough cut as well. I've seen them used as centerpieces on tables, or as fruit bowls in a kitchen. I'm not familiar enough with the rules here anymore to feel comfortable posting a link or picture. But I've seen them being sold on Amazon and eBay.

Search "router bowl" on Youtube, is that what you are trying to make?

I think what David is looking for is a dough box/bowl where they in the old days mixed up the dough for bread. The antique bowl I have appears to have been made using a gouging tool of some sort.

David Turner
    North Raleigh, NC

Quote Originally Posted by David Tiell View Post
    Good point. The ones I've seen are a bit rectangular or oblong, and appear to be rough cut out with a large gouge or other tool. The outside is rough cut as well. I've seen them used as centerpieces on tables, or as fruit bowls in a kitchen. I'm not familiar enough with the rules here anymore to feel comfortable posting a link or picture. But I've seen them being sold on Amazon and eBay.
    I went looking on the web, and found bowls like that with a name like that. (Incidentally, you can post a link, but even better clip the photo and post it in your post.) I use routers for all sorts of things, but I don't see a way to make that sort of bowl with a router. The sloped sides are just not amenable to cutting with a router. And the deep middle is also not amenable to router work. The old ones were most likely made with an adze, which you could do today. However, I'm not that patient. If I were going to make one of these bowls, I'd start with green wood -- much softer! -- and remove most of the waste with an Arbor Tech disc in an angle grinder. I'd clean up with chisels.

I have an idea for a router jig that would work for this sort of thing and there are long router bits available as well as extensions. Due to the required length of the bit you would have to take it slow and easy to avoid damaging something. I think Jamie's suggestion of an angle grinder with an Arbor Tech disc makes much more sense. It would be quicker and easier than a router and you don't need to build a jig. Finish up by hand with gouges and such.

Ok, thanks for the input and ideas. I think I will try the angle grinder route.