Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pizza Sauce

Wife likes plain cheese pizza, with sauce. Pizza Hut here doesn't put any sauce on their cheese pizza. It's unsliced bread sticks with melted cheese. Surprisingly, Little Caesar makes a decent cheese pizza, which she likes

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Lightly crushed San Marzano DOP tomatoes with a little salt, not further cooked,...
    This guy knows pizza.

I like light saucing, plenty of fresh basil (too much), and crust is the most important part. Bad crust is bad pizza no matter how good the toppings. And the crust should be crunchy in the bottom, and not too thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    After age 60, you may begin to lose the ability to distinguish the taste of sweet, salty, sour, and bitter foods."
    After working at a sewage treatment plant for over 30 years I know I don't smell so good.

-Tom

My wife and I can't stand the Garlic butter that so many shops seem to use. We used to like Dominos Pizza Hut and Marcos but they started using that butter on their pizzas and I just can't get past the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    My wife and I can't stand the Garlic butter that so many shops seem to use. We used to like Dominos Pizza Hut and Marcos but they started using that butter on their pizzas and I just can't get past the smell.
    Just tell them "no garlic butter." Keep in mind that the vast majority of pizzas are simply assembled and cooked. So you can get extra this or light that or none of the other.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Around here, Blaze Pizza is pretty good. They have a set up like a buffet but the things in the containers are for making a pizza. A worker is on the other side of the "buffet". As you move down the line, you tell them what (and how much) of each item to put on your pizza. Their standard pizza (12"?, 14"?) is a bit less than $9. My wife and I split one and it's plenty to eat.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mod Pizza is very similar to the Blaze Pizza described by Mike. You go down the line telling them what you want on your pizza...it's fire baked and your name is called to pick it up. A store opened here earlier this year IIRC and it's excellent! Sounds like the prices are similar too.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Wife likes plain cheese pizza, with sauce. Pizza Hut here doesn't put any sauce on their cheese pizza. It's unsliced bread sticks with melted cheese. Surprisingly, Little Caesar makes a decent cheese pizza, which she likes
    In the belief that there is no personal preference or menu oddity too trivial to argue about, I'll point out that, legally speaking (according to Google and also some late-night talk show host a while back), if it doesn't have a baked leavened crust AND tomato sauce AND cheese it ain't pizza.

We make our own pizza with store-bought sauce on home-made crusts. The dough for the crusts is mixed in the bread machine and pre-baked on a pizza stone. Many of the crusts are eaten without being made into pizzas - it's pretty good bread. I use the sauce sparingly because most sauces are too thin to use much of without the pizza being a drippy mess. We have room for improvement there and will look for thicker sauce or more intense flavor. I'll probably have to make it myself.

When I was first setting up shop I would dumpster dive behind Piazza shops. they get sauce in one gallon cans branded by the franchise name. Those cans are still on my shelf with nuts bolts etc.
    Bil lD

Alan, please keep me apprised concerning your pizza sauce progress. I need a good sauce for my home-make pizza crusts, as well. Currently I am using store-bought Classico sauce. I don't use a bread machine for the dough but I do use a stone for baking.

Hey, I wonder why they don't do a Braves5.

We are into August. A river of fresh tomatoes is running from the garden to the kitchen every day.
    It’s pizza and pasta time baby.
    Fresh maters
    fresh peppers
    fresh garlic
    fresh basil, oregano, tyme, rosemary, chives, on and on and on.
    Lots of work goes into all this in the spring and now it’s rewards time.

Heaven. We make a pizza from scratch every week this time of year.

legally speaking (according to Google and also some late-night talk show host a while back), if it doesn't have a baked leavened crust AND tomato sauce AND cheese it ain't pizza.
    You'd have a hard sell on that one in Naples, where the pizza marinara (no cheese) has been a favorite for centuries.