Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pizza Sauce

Pizza Sauce

I have the impression that most modern pizza has little pizza sauce on it and the sauce that's there doesn't have a strong taste. Has pizza been like that for years and years?

My memory of pizza may be biased by the pizza-at-home kits sold by Jeno's in the 60's. They had lots of sauce and the sauce had a strong taste - heavy on the basil as I recall.

Blog Entries
    It really depends on where you buy your pizza. You can also ask for heavy sauce at some locations.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Those kit pizzas we're good. My dad added olive oil and oregano when he was serving up Tree Tavern pizza kits.

Try adding some picante sauce to your pizza sauce, it will up the game plan for pizza.

Blog Entries
    They had lots of sauce and the sauce had a strong taste - heavy on the basil as I recall.
    More likely the strong taste you recall is oregano. A good whiff of oregano and all people can think of is pizza.

If you ever get to Berkeley, CA try a pizza parlor called Zachary's. They make a stuffed pizza that has more sauce than crust. That is one of the things my wife and me miss most from where we used to live. She will be going down there soon. Maybe she will be nice and bring one back.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Lightly crushed San Marzano DOP tomatoes with a little salt, not further cooked, used sparingly. A sprinkle of olive oil and a shake of oregano. With a few dabs of mozzarella di bufala, some fresh basil, and some parmagiano you have the perfect pizza. Retaining the bright tomato taste is key, overcooking kills that.

IMG_0602.jpg

We always order extra sauce when we order Papa Johns pizza.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    We always order extra sauce when we order Papa Johns pizza.
    We do to love their tribe5 code also

Sauces vary greatly...both because of traditions and because of, well...some of the public's taste or lack thereof. There does seem to be a small trend in many areas for less sauce and more cheese from my observation. A good pizza sauce has flavor from both use of and properly cooking down quality tomatoes as well as fresh herbs, etc. Pizza sauce tends to have a little sweetness compared to pasta sauce, too, also in my observation.

What's really disappointing beyond any "bad sauce" is how much commercial crust dough that pizza shops buy to use rather than make in-house. It is so reminiscent of, um...cardboard. I so rarely buy pizza out these days because of that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The thing nobody wants to talk about. "Between the ages of 40 and 50, the number of taste buds decreases, and the rest begin to shrink, losing mass vital to their operation. After age 60, you may begin to lose the ability to distinguish the taste of sweet, salty, sour, and bitter foods."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    We do to love their tribe5 code also
    We do too!
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    After age 60, you may begin to lose the ability to distinguish the taste of sweet, salty, sour, and bitter foods."
    That just makes them all taste equally good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    The thing nobody wants to talk about. "Between the ages of 40 and 50, the number of taste buds decreases, and the rest begin to shrink, losing mass vital to their operation. After age 60, you may begin to lose the ability to distinguish the taste of sweet, salty, sour, and bitter foods."
    My sniffer isn't what it used to be. My nose no longer smells the aroma of bay leaves. What is interesting is the effect of the aroma can still be felt in my nose. This is kind of weird.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My sniffer isn't what it used to be....
    As long as I can still smell bacon, my sniffer is working good enough.

I think Pizza preferences vary from area to area. There is one shop nearby that has a loyal following, but I think their pizza tastes like they use tomato soup and American cheese. My Preference of all shop pizzas is Pizza Hut. An acquaintance owned a Pizza shop and one of his more popular pizzas was made with fresh sliced plum tomatoes instead of sauce. Some folks try to use plain spaghetti sauce, but that is to bland and too sweet. Mrs. likes white pizza for a change up. One pizza shop nearby puts the sauce on top the cheese. Looks weird, but tastes ok. We have several grocery outlet stores here that sell over runs and special runs, etc. One such store had had some huge frozen pizzas recently and those pizzas are so big that they stick out slightly over the edge of our biggest pizza pan, 18 inch, I think. Those are good, but I can't find a name brand on the box. Many PA Dutch families did not eat pizza in the 1950's and 1960's. My father still avoids it when he can. (same for any tomato based sauce in or on food.) Some areas like soft bread type crusts, others like thin crispy crusts. I can't stand the crispy crunchy crusts myself. Probably the best tasting pizza I ever had, was from a restaurant called the Pines of Naples in Bethesda Maryland. It was crushed tomatoes with spices spread fairly thick over the crust. There was so much cheese and olive oil, that small pools of oil formed on the pizza.