Thread: Drill Press Drum Sander

Drill Press Drum Sander

Hi,

I'm making some tools holders, and need to sand a number (about 12) small curved pieces. I cannot afford a bench top drum sander at this time (have to pay for my L-N #3 plane first)...

Does the use of these sanders put undue stress or cause excess wear on the drill press spindle of chuck, given the nature of the load they impose on the drill press?

Thanks,

JH

Can't find an image of the 6" V drum sander in use but basically I drilled a hole in a piece of corian to act as a bushing (clamped to the table) so there is very little side pressure...

This is the drum...

22 - V drum.jpg

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

I used my drill press (a Delta 16") with a shorter drum sander for years, but then bought a bench mounted oscillating drum sander and haven't used the drill press drum sander kit since then. If your drill press is one of the better quality drill press, I don't think you will have any problems with it. If it's one of the low dollar versions like the Harbor Freight I would worry about side loading it.

Charley

Do not press too hard or the taper holding the chuck can release and the chuck goes flying off.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    I would not want to use my drill press for this as a usual thing but, that's me. Let the abrasive do its work and do push too hard on the spindle and you'll be fine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought one of these off of eBay to use as a live center that cuts down on lateral pressure, works well for that. I think it’s just a mini live center for a lathe. I drilled a hole to match in my drill press table, and use it to anchor the drum.

BBCF51C4-B3D5-4F24-97E8-81A298B22DA7.jpeg

Blog Entries
    I have several sanding drums that I use on my old Homecraft bench mounted drill press. I've experienced no added play on the quill nor have I had problems with jacobs tapber letting the chuck fall off due to lateral pressure. My sanding drums are 3" tall and various diameters from 1" up to 3".
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute