Thread: Question for cartographers - bearing

Question Question for cartographers - bearing

I am trying to place my plat on Google Earth map. On map I have, direction from one mark to another has bearing, for example S 59*56'19" E.
    In Google Earth bearing just a simple - 45*. I understand it is clockwise angle from the pointing north.
    But I can't find how to transfer my bearing to simple angle?
    Thank you,
    Ed.

It seems like your Google resolution is 45 degrees or only eight points on the compass. Your plat is deg-min-sec a very high order of resolution, You are also thinking in terms of azimuth bearing in a 360 degree scale. The surveyors plat is in a quadrant scale. So you will need to know your working resolution and type of scale. 59 56' 19" rounds to 60 degrees but you will need to understand the orientation of the quadrant scale. The North - South axis is 0 degrees no matter whether you face north or south. So imagine you are facing south exactly and turn to the east 59 56' 19" or 60 degrees a convenient resolution.

Thank you, Roger. I will investigate more.
    Ed.

Blog Entries
    Here is a quick tutorial on reading your plat.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Roger gives the right way to read the bearings. Easier to draw in SketchUp and make a file that can be opened in GE.

SketchUp takes care of the north direction when you add the location.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 07-29-2018 at 1:30 PM.

Note that magnetic north varies with location and it drifts with time(decades).
    Bill D.

This link may help you with conversion. https://www.gps-coordinates.net/
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Guys,

Thank you very much for the help, especially Dave for converting my bearing info to usable map file. You are magician with Sketchup.
    Mike , I will check links, thanks.
    Lee, thanks for tutorial.

Ed.