Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench

Workbench

I just completed my workbench build that I started last November. I managed a few hours here and there, but then again it's about the journey and all I learned in the process.

I did have a build thread started with a few updates, but I decided I would spend the time on the bench, rather then constantly updating the thread. I've had many compliments from non-woodworkers and they all say it's too nice to work on or it's a piece of furniture that belongs inside! Yes, I admit that I've done 'upgrades' that were not necessary for a workbench, but I used this build as a way to try out things and learn along the way. It's not perfect, I did mess up a few things, but I learned from each one of them. I got some good practice on inlaying!

On to the details. As you can see from the pictures I used Benchcrafted hardware. As a matter of fact I purchased the kit with the plans. I did make modifications to the plans, mostly downsizing it just a little bit, but it is a little higher than the plans call for since I'm tall. It's about 81 inches long and about 23 inches deep. The cross section of the legs are just a bit smaller than the plans call for and the top is 3 inches thick vs. the 4 the plan calls for. The wood is Soft Maple and Walnut. I found both a pleasure to work with. It was finished with a coat Minwax Antique Oil followed with paste wax (except the top).

I put a matching Walnut breadboard end on the left side even though there is no functional need for it.. (More practice on the large dovetails!). I added lots of Walnut trim and inlay work throughout the workbench. The board in the 'split' can be flipped over. One side leaves it flush with the top and the other side is raised and can be used as a plane stop. The leg vise is faced with leather as are each of the bench dogs.

It has been a lot of fun building the workbench. I'm close to finishing up the matching Moxon vise then It'll be on to the real projects!

Dennis

IMG_1194.JPGIMG_1193.jpgIMG_1200.JPGIMG_1204.jpgIMG_1207.jpgIMG_1208.jpgIMG_1210.JPG

Dennis
    The only "problem" I see with this bench is that it is not in my shop!
    When shall I expect it?

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Great Looking bench. How do you like the swing away stool?

Dennis, I think that is the nicest workbench I've ever seen.

Bruce,

For the right price I will personally deliver it with the white glove service, thanks.

Joe,

The hardware is top notch, we'll see how the seat works. The thought was to use it at times when I'm using the moxon vise, which mounts at the right end in the tail vise. It may turn out the bench isn't heavy enough or I'm too heavy or both!

Yonak,

Thank you.

Dennis

That's a great looking bench.
    If I were to build something even remotely similar I would cry the first time i gouged it.

Beautiful bench Dennis. Can't wait to see some of your projects in the future.

Blog Entries
    Beautifully done. It shows the care and pride in your work.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ooooooo, I like it!
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

It's so pretty I wouldn't want to do any work on it for fear of scratching it. Absolutely beautiful.

Charlie,

I'll probably cry too when I put a real nice gouge in it!

Thanks to all the others that responded.

Dennis

Believe it or not, it’ll look even better when it’s been used.

Truly a work of art!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

15. This workbench is awesome! I would feel awful abusing it like I do to my workbench. Great work Dennis!!