Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: No more "fix it" shops

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    When I was a kid, too many years ago, it was pretty common for boys to take things apart and figure out how they worked. This leads to being able to fix things. Today, how many kids have any interest in picking up a tool? There are not enough.

There is now a lack of skilled folks in many trades and it will get worse. This will create a large demand and career opportunities. It is a great alternative to college but means getting your hands dirty.
    That's true Larry, however a lot of small items are now not economically feasible to repair..............regards, Rod.

RIP Emmett...... Marc

Emmittt post.jpg
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    That's true Larry, however a lot of small items are now not economically feasible to repair..............regards, Rod.
    When we moved here we purchased a set of LED lights to put under the cabinets to illuminate one of our kitchen counters. After close to ten years the switch went south. It was a small slide switch. After looking around for a replacement switch online it occurred to me the switches in some small Christmas tea lights we had would work. Sure enough, one of them had a dead battery so the switch was salvaged and used to repair the unit. That is one good reason to hang on to my old soldering iron. Had to use a tie wrap around the wall wart body to keep it together. Hopefully my memory will be working down the road when the switch wears out again.

It wasn't made to be repaired, but that didn't stop me. Of course the labor in a shop to fix it would be more than the thing would cost. For me it was 10 or 15 minutes of puttering around in the shop as opposed to over an hour to drive into town and back.

The little tea lights were bought the day after Christmas at a steep discount. Something like 50¢ each in an 18 pack if my memory is working. That is less than the batteries inside cost to buy. They are the same ones used by my glucose meter. Funny part is when the batter is too low for the glucose meter it still has enough charge to light the LED in the tea light. If anyone wants to know the battery is a #2032 iirc.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jim, yes for home you can repair a lot of items however one item to consider is that if you don't use the exact switch the manufacturer used, your electrical approval is void.

That stops shops dead in their tracks if they can't get the exact part.

I work at a place that has very comprehensive repair facilities, down to the surface mount IC level. After a few years you often can't obtain the IC's so the entire assembly is scrap.

My parents received a chrome metal kettle as a wedding present during the war, I can't think of how many times I replaced the cord, it was meant to be repairable, all you needed was a screwdriver to take the cord end apart. They don't make stuff like that any longer.........Rod.