Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No more "fix it" shops

Blog Entries
    In the vein of the absence of trade shops, it took me months to find a shoe shop that could stitch on new leather soles for a pair of dress shoes. Work boot repair? No problem. When is that last time you passed a shop with "T.V Repair" in the window? The world moves on.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm all for repairing when possible (I put a new cord on a $19 rice cooker that has already lasted me 10 years...), but I don't understand trying to repair an old drill. I wouldn't want to use a 20-year-old drill, because the ergonomics, power, compactness, and usability have improved so dramatically since then that a broken cord, to me, would be a great excuse to buy a new one and benefit from all that innovation.

Dan, in regard to compactness,the old guys I worked with many years ago always called electric drills "drill motors". They
    actually powered other tools sold without motors. I'm betting they would not meet your ergonomic standards.

Let me mention:

iFixIt

which mostly focuses on electronics, but still serves as an antidote to disposable products. Here's more:

Popular Science article

I do all of my own repairs, except if it's under warranty. Otherwise, it's just not worth the time and money to take it to someone else when I could have it done myself in half the time at half the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    After a week I was kinda upset because they did not respond back. A few days later to my surprise a brand new tiller (Not just a handle) was sitting at my house delivered by UPS. Never a word from the company.
    My guess it is cheaper for them to send a new unit vs fooling with a return or service center charging for repair
    Or, someone made a clerical/entry mistake and sent you the whole thing instead of a parts. That happened once when I was supposed to receive a replacement parts for a new item, but got delivered the item in a new box. When I called, they found out they made a mistake due to order entry error. They sent Fedex to take it back.

I had also received an order with 6 units of what I ordered instead of 1, because whoever did the picking mistook the box had one unit in it. I was told to keep them all as return shipping would have cost them more!

When you have workers who don't pay attention or don't care, your business costs go up, and the annual inventory taking will show large dependencies.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I'm all for repairing when possible (I put a new cord on a $19 rice cooker that has already lasted me 10 years...), but I don't understand trying to repair an old drill. I wouldn't want to use a 20-year-old drill, because the ergonomics, power, compactness, and usability have improved so dramatically since then that a broken cord, to me, would be a great excuse to buy a new one and benefit from all that innovation.
    Sometimes, the improvements aren't worth it. My 40 B&D industrial angle grinder uses exact same parts as current production model. Only now the case is made cheaper, as Dewalt tools are now "throw aways."

That old drill is no ordinary $50 wonder from Sears. It has several features todays drills simply do not have. The gear drive is awesome. I drilled 2 inch holes through 8 inch oak beams and it never slowed down. It has both the saw handle grip and the side knob for gripping as well as a stud for stationary mount (I have the mount block) so it can be bench mounted for use as a grinder, etc. I checked the prices of today's half HP 5/8 inch drills. I am not spending $350 for a new drill. For run of the mill jobs, I use a Dewalt cordless or a 3/8 corded Milwaukee, for those few times a year, I need to do some serious boring, the old Millers Falls gets dusted off.

9. Are you located in Dallas, Texas ?

Sometimes, I wish I was. But no, I am on the fringes of the greater northeastern megopolis. Trying hard to stave off the urban forces of evil. (I am 50 miles North of Baltimore)

I have read that many big screen tv's that lose the picture are an easy fix. either replace a few capacitors or a led lamp that illuminates the entire screen. Many folks rather then troubleshoot replace both as long as the device is opened.
    Modern Tv's no longer need cheater cords to test them. the power cord stays attached even when you open them up. To me this says makers are not concerned that buyers will open them up to see what went wrong.
    Bill D.

just wait until the local hardware stores are all gone and you'll have to order all your parts through Amazon for drone delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hinton View Post
    If all the tools need is a new cord that's something you can easily accomplish.
    Just go to the big box store of your preference and buy a 25' heavy duty extension cord and an additional plug.
    Chop the extension cord to the length you desire on the plug end and install that on your tool.
    Chop off the receptacle on the other end of the cord and install the plug.
    Install that cord on your other tool.
    it will cost under $40 all in.

The 14 gauge cord is more than enough and cheaper, but if you said you wanted heavy duty.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-25...5H31/302877744

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-...CC15/202664499
    I've done almost exactly that except I bought a 10m (30 ft) cord and extra plug. Cut the length of cord I wanted for my band saw with the plug and installed the extra plug on the remainder and I have a 6m (18 ft) extension cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have read that many big screen tv's that lose the picture are an easy fix. either replace a few capacitors or a led lamp that illuminates the entire screen. Many folks rather then troubleshoot replace both as long as the device is opened.
    Modern Tv's no longer need cheater cords to test them. the power cord stays attached even when you open them up. To me this says makers are not concerned that buyers will open them up to see what went wrong.
    Bill D.
    I had a TV go out about a year or two ago and I know the problem is the backlight, but we needed a TV so we just replaced it. I kept the old one and one of these days I'll crack it open and replace the controller board which costs about $50. Then I'll have 2 TVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    This past spring I purchased a new garden tiller. When I received it, the handle had been damaged in shipping. Nothing major but I was concerned with the pounding a tiller takes and the handle would break in two. I contacted the manufacture and sent photos with the damage. Requested they send me a new handle. I would replace it myself and done.
    After a week I was kinda upset because they did not respond back. A few days later to my surprise a brand new tiller (Not just a handle) was sitting at my house delivered by UPS. Never a word from the company.
    My guess it is cheaper for them to send a new unit vs fooling with a return or service center charging for repair
    We had a somewhat similar experience with a Shark Vacuum. The dust cannister has two plastic lugs over which over-center latches fit to secure the cup. We expected a new cup, we got a new vacuum. I guess it makes sense to somebody.