Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marples From The UK

“I've cleaned up the storage and moved almost all the tools that are not in daily or frequent use somewhere else.”

If I used all the tools you have pictured daily or frequently, I’d be a very busy guy

Congrats on the new chisels!

Quote Originally Posted by David Myers View Post
    Congrats on the new to you chisels and thanks for sharing.
    Thanks David.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    “I've cleaned up the storage and moved almost all the tools that are not in daily or frequent use somewhere else.”

If I used all the tools you have pictured daily or frequently, I’d be a very busy guy

Congrats on the new chisels!
    Phil,

Thanks.

LOL, I suppose it depends on your definition of frequent. I thought about using occasional but frequent was closer to my use pattern. Not all the tools are used on every project but a number are each time and it depends on the job to be done. An example, for paring tenon shoulders and cheeks I will use the long flexible western paring chisels, for cleaning the base line of dovetails the stiffer Japanese paring chisels come out to play.

I am a pretty busy guy, there is always a project in progress and even when I've spent most of the day at the day job there will be several hours in the shop either before or after.

ken

Ken; the following shows how I applied a new handle finish on my vintage set of Marples boxwood firmer chisels. (10 minutes work per chisel handle.)

Old finish.

Old finish removed. (220 grit, 400grit, super fine sanding pad)

New finish.(6 coats of garnet shellac applied with lathe running at low speed)

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-31-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Ken; the following shows how I applied a new handle finish on my vintage set of Marples boxwood firmer chisels. (10 minutes work per chisel handle.)

Old finish.

Old finish removed. (220 grit, 400grit, super fine sanding pad)

New finish.(6 coats of garnet shellac applied with lathe running at low speed)

Stewie;
    Stewie,

They look great. So far I'm happy just getting 'em sharp , but cleaning the handles may be next.

ken

Ken; the following shows the completed work on the set of Marples vintage firmer chisels. The backs have all been flattened, the side lands have been jointed, the flat primary bevels reworked, and the chisel handles have all received a new finish.

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-31-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Beautiful set of chisels in a beautiful box, Stewie.

Thanks David.

Stewie,

Almost too pretty to use. Nope, not quite right. How about pretty enough to bring great pleasure in use.

ken