Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on deciding which compact plunge router to buy

Need help on deciding which compact plunge router to buy

Well, I didn't think this would ever happen but I need another router (not sure how well my wife will take this when the box arrives and she asks what is in it). I have a still working Craftsman I bought almost 50 years ago, a thirty something small PC 1001 that's great, a PC 890 in my router table, a PC laminate trimmer in a mini router table and a big Dewalt 625 plunge router. I use them all. Never had a problem with any of them. However, I want to do more inlay and would like a compact plunge router. I have done quite a bit of research online and have narrowed it down to the Makita and Dewalt 1.25 HP routers. Both routers get really good reviews. The Makita would be $40 cheaper because I don't need the complete kit that the Makita is often sold with. The plunge mechanism on my big Dewalt is superb so I am leaning towards Dewalt. I have seen both routers in their non plunge form (nowhere seems to have the plunge unit) in the local HD/Lowes and like them both. Any shared wisdom on compact plunge routers would be much appreciated.Thanks!

I have the small DW palm router (DWP611). 1HP seems to be plenty powerful for most jobs. I made a larger base for it which is very handy. I got the kit with the plunge base. I use it more frequently than my other routers now.

Its a very nicely designed tool.

Was looking at just this comparison. Do you know the diameter of the Dewalt base where you hold it in your hand? For plunging it wouldnt matter, but when not in the plunge base I want something comfortable to free hand with, and the Makita 'looked' smaller in diameter which I thought might fit my hand more comfortably.

Would be great to compare side by side...

I too have the DeWalt. It’s my only experience with a compact router. I’ve done stringing, inlays, and hinge mortises. The clear base and LED lights give a pretty good view of what you’re doing. At times, I do supplement with a bit more light and magnifying glasses...just an age thing, I suppose. I don’t know that any offer this feature, but it would be nice if the on/off switch was located nearer the base, but I haven’t messed up anything yet reaching for it. I also have the guide accessory, but haven’t used it yet. I may get a foot switch to plug it into.

Be happy to answer any specific questions you may have....

Blog Entries
    I have the original 1HP Bosch Colt. The plunge base for this router really makes it what it always should have been. For inlay, 1HP should be fine and they are blowing them out at my Lowe's so you could get one cheap. I picked up a spare VS router only (no case or alternate bases) for about $60. Street price on the plunge base is about $90 so the savings is not huge.

I only mention a seemingly end of life product as it is smaller than the others in the hand and may suit your specific use better. I also have a high end plunge for my Dremel but, there is a fair amount of flex in the tool (not the base). I have gotten used to this but, it is more like driving a boat than a car if you get my drift (pun intended).

The new 1-1/4HP Bosch Colt motor does not fit the old plunge and the plunge for it is planned for some time in the future.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-28-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've owned a Bosch Colt for many years. I've pushed it beyond what I thought the limits should be and it's always performed well. I have the kit with all the attachments for angles, offset routing and pretty much whatever else one might use a compact router for, but most I have never used.

When the Colt and I fell in love was after I bought the Bosch plunge base. The thumbscrew adjustment on the stock base is pretty poor. The plunge base is excellent. The router is easy to install and remove and the adjustments and stops are accurate.

FWW did a comparison test on compact routers a few years ago and the Dewalt won best overall. That LED that's on the Dewalt makes me jealous. At the time I read the review, I found myself wishing I had bought the Dewalt.

Overall I'm happy with the Colt. Since purchasing it, it has been my go-to router and probably use it as much collectively as I use the other three I own.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Love my DW611PK!!!
    I picked mine up when they were first out a couple years back & Amazon ran some real deals on the kits.

A cordless Makita would make my day though - even though I love my DeWalt.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I used to use the Bosch. Once I bought a Dewalt (DW611), I sold the Bosch and bought two more Dewalts. Never used the Makita.

For really fine inlay, the DeWalt will be too big. For really fine work, you want to use a Dremel and one of the bases that are made for it. MicroFence has a very expensive one and McMaster Carr (I think) has a more reasonably priced one. Some other people may be able to post more information about bases for the Dremel.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a 4 base DeWalt laminate trimmer and used it for many routing jobs as well as trimming laminate, but I bought a DeWalt DW611P kit and now it is mone of my favorite routers for small jobs. It's well balanced and light , so very easy to use. My laminate trimmer now seems to only be used for it's initial purpose - trimming laminate . I have 11 routers and several brands, but the DW611 and my three DW618B3 router kits see most of the work. They are the most comfortable to use, and have many applications. For an edge guide, I have the DeWalt, but tend to use my M Power CRB7 most of the time now. It fits most any router that has edge guide rod holes.

Charley

I’ll second the Micro Fence for either the dremel or a small trim router. Extremely accurate depth control and has an optional light kit that is fantastic
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Thanks everyone for all the input. I went to both HD and Lowes again to have a closer look at the two routers. I like them both. The LED light would be a real asset I think. I also have looked at aftermarket plunge bases for the Dremel. I probably will get one of those eventually for finer work, stringing and the like. I guess right now I'll flip a coin. Thanks again for the excellent feedback and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    For really fine inlay, the DeWalt will be too big. For really fine work, you want to use a Dremel and one of the bases that are made for it. MicroFence has a very expensive one and McMaster Carr (I think) has a more reasonably priced one. Some other people may be able to post more information about bases for the Dremel.

Mike
    Mike, Could it be the StewMac base for the Dremel you are thinking of? I’ve read good things about it and it appears to be selling for $60 at StewMac.com. I have no personal experience with it. To the OP, I do have the DeWalt kit and like it, though it does not get a lot of use in my shop.

Blog Entries
    I have the Dewalt 611 and the bosch colt. The Dewalt is great unless you need a perfect plunge with no slop. There is a lot of play in the rails during the plunge (it's tight once locked in position)

The bosch is tight before, during and after the plunge.

With that said I use/grab the Dewalt more

You should probably at least take a look at the new bosch 12 volt cordless. It has quite a different style grip that *looks* like it may give added control to freehand tasks.....
    I haven't been able to play with one yet, but it's on the list of things to check out when I can.

I will add my vote, however, for the dW 611 combo set. I use it for pretty much everything except router table work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    A cordless Makita would make my day though
    Recently became available: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XTR01Z

For corded, the MLCS Rocky 30 is a clone of the Makita RT0701 which seems to be substantively the same, despite have lower specs.