Thread: Lacquer or Shellac

Lacquer or Shellac

I am wanting to spray a finish over stained oak. I have never used a spray gun only rattle cans to apply finish. I would be using a gravity hvlp gun. Can someone add input on which finish would be preferred.

If you have a proper spray environment and safety gear, the lacquer is going to be a better long term solution for something that needs to wear as compared to shellac. (assuming it's solvent based lacquer) You don't want to spray that stuff in your house, etc. Shellac is a little safer in that respect since its solvent is alcohol, but proper ventilation is still necessary.

Many of us use waterborne products because they are substantially safer to use and provide excellent results, even in a home shop environment where there's an unlikely chance that a "real" spray room is available. There are lots of discussions here about who prefers what, but General Finishes and Target Coatings are probably the most popular. (I use the latter) The one thing about waterborne finishes that you need to consider is that they don't generally impart the "amber"/warm feel that solvent based products do, so many of us will use oil or de-waxed shellac first to add that warmer tone before spraying the "clear"/colder waterborne acrylic finish to, um...finish things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lacquer is the better option. As Jim said, don't spray it inside unless you have proper ventilation. Spray outside and then take the items inside to dry if you don't have a booth. Spraying waterborne finishes will avoid fire hazards but require the same respiratory protection when spraying as other smellier coatings. Cheers

Just keep in mind.. trying ANY new finish you have no experience with has great risks.... NOT something to "Try" on an important project.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Based on my experience in learning to spray, I would say that shellac is easier to learn with than Lacquer. Just spray light coats and don't build it up too fast. In fact, regardless of what I am going to use as a top coat, I almost always start with a coat or two of shellac. I think that it enhances the color and grain better than other finishes. Now that's obviously just my personal opinion.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I would recommend trying a water based finish first. If for nothing else, the ease of clean up. Turn on the garden hose and rinse it out. You get spoiled real quick on having almost endless “solvent” for clean up.

Not arguing the above at all... but my lacquer gun rarely needs to get cleaned.

Just sayin.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me