Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Dust Collection Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I don't have any experience with DCs of this size but I will comment on metal versus PVC piping. There are myths going around that you have to ground DC piping to prevent an explosion. That is, as I said, a myth. But you cannot get the right dust concentration in a DC and it's piping. So which piping to use is just a cost/convenience thing. PVC is easier to work with and may or may not cost less in 6 inch. But it may be a special order item with 6 inch metal pipe locally available. Personally, I will probably always use PVC. The concern about PVC might or might not affect your decision but I think it should not.
    It is true that static electricity relative to PVC duct work will not likely result in an explosion in a home-shop situation. (It's not permitted in commercial shops, however) That said, with more and more electronics moving into shops these days with the popularity of CNC machines and VFD-equipped variable speed gear, one really does have to be concerned with static electricity affecting the machines. My duct work is metal, but I have one foot and a half long piece of PVC to the dust hood of my CNC machine...and it absolutely had to be grounded and grounded really well to avoid it affecting the accuracy of the machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim wrap that section in a fine wire mesh. Think Faraday Cage. Or get some anti-static paint to do the same. They will bleed the static off as it forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Jim wrap that section in a fine wire mesh. Think Faraday Cage. Or get some anti-static paint to do the same. They will bleed the static off as it forms.
    I have had it handled right from the beginning since it's a known concern with CNCs...I was just mentioning the need to deal with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think you'll find it tough to go wrong with a 5 hp machine, whether Clearvue or Oneida. You'll never wonder if you needed more...

In your original post you listed 3 hp machines, and that may well be a good size for your garage shop too.

Although Clearvue doesn't make a collector in that hp, I would certainly look at the Oneida 3 hp models. As others said they are superior to the offshore collectors you listed.

In my small shop I use a 2 hp Oneida unit with very good results in a way shorter ceiling than you have. 7" main, 6" and 5" drops with galvanized ducting to the typical tools. I don't have a drum sander though... I'd also skip the Oneida plans and just run a full size main most of the way to 6" or possibly 5" drops, it will work well.

Happy shopping.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I have the ClearVue ... mounted it in the peak of my attic, and made a large "baghouse", also in the attic to hold my filters. Baghouse discharges back into the shop through a grate-covered hole in the ceiling. All you see in the shop is the ductwork and the drop tube/chip collection can. Love this setup.

Bob would you have any pictures you could post? Especially the "bag house".
    Thanks.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It is true that static electricity relative to PVC duct work will not likely result in an explosion in a home-shop situation. (It's not permitted in commercial shops, however) That said, with more and more electronics moving into shops these days with the popularity of CNC machines and VFD-equipped variable speed gear, one really does have to be concerned with static electricity affecting the machines. My duct work is metal, but I have one foot and a half long piece of PVC to the dust hood of my CNC machine...and it absolutely had to be grounded and grounded really well to avoid it affecting the accuracy of the machine.

Really good point on the possible effects of excessive static on the electronics. Not something I've needed to consider...yet ;-)

On the subject of static, this is all you need to know... My drum sander was one of the worst at creating static before I carefully grounded everything. The height of the metal, static-laden feed tables is just a bit below the belt. Guess where that huge spark hit me? Yeah, I started doubling up on the anti-static efforts.

I'll chime in and agree with several other posters. 5hp, biggest impeller you can get, 6" PVC ducting, keep the ducts as big as you can for as far as you can, open up the hoods on the machines to 6" anywhere possible. I built a 5 hp Pentz cyclone with a 17" impeller 15 years ago. Have all PVC ducting. Wouldn't change a thing. If I were buying a commercial unit today I would go with the Clearvue. I was part of Bill's testing back in the early 2000's and their is a definite advantage to the longer cone. It can be made to work with 100" ceiling, Mine is much taller but I have the advantage of a 120" ceiling.

Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 08-25-2018 at 7:09 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]