Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Dust Collection Question

Another Dust Collection Question

I am new to this forum but have read many threads through the years but this is my first actual post. Trying to make a decision on which dust collector to get. I have a two car garage/shop. Wife doesn't care about parking in there so it I can basically maximize all space ! Unfortunately I am limited on the height of my garage with only 100" to the ceiling. Due to the way the ducting for the house is and the garage door rails I am also limited on where I can put this machine. I do have the electrical for 220. I am gradually adding more machines to the shop. I have table saw, planer, router table, etc. Eventually will add jointer and nice bandsaw and drum sander. Back on topic...I have narrowed it down to two options, but I wanted anyone who had these machines to give me feedback. The ones I am interested in are the:

JCDC-3
    CFLUX-3
    Also if anyone thinks the PFLUX is worth the upgrade please let me know. I hate to be the guy that asks about dust collection again but I wanted up to date info.

Thanks!

The CV-1800 is in the same ballpark price wise, especially with their sale at the moment, and is more powerful and efficient. It is 95" high.

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/cycl...h-filters.html

If you do get one of the two you asked about run 6" pipes throughout your shop and open the machine ports to 6" wherever possible. 4" is too small to move the air you need for small particle capture. 425cfm max verses over 1000cfm.

Blog Entries
    I know you have narrowed it down to two short cone machines but, your headroom does not limit you to that format. Is it the mobility that is driving you to the short cone format?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You didn't say where you live. Is exhausting the air outside a good option where you are? I'm in AZ, and have the DC outside, no filters. Love this setup. Bonus that it removes heat from the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I know you have narrowed it down to two short cone machines but, your headroom does not limit you to that format. Is it the mobility that is driving you to the short cone format?
    This is important...the short cone cyclones do not perform as well as a better engineered long cone system and those can easily fit in your 100" space by keeping the bin height lower. (35 gallon instead of 55 gallon, for example) Clearvue and Oneida are the go-tos for these systems and these manufacturers only do dust collection, unlike the mass-market brands.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think my Oneida would be considered short cone, and it seems to work SO well. Is there really a distinct advantage to longer ones? In what cases?

You make a good point on the bin. I needed to keep my outdoor DC shed below 6' for HOA reasons, so I used the 17 gallon bin.

Carlos, the SDD, etc., add-ons are not quite the same as the self-contained units from Clearvue and Oneida when it comes to design. They are very effective for what they are, but the separation is better with the long cone designs of the larger units. My understanding is that the laws of physics prefer things like that and the man who did the original design that the Clearvue is based on did extensive testing and research to prove that out. I'm not suggesting that folks don't buy the short-cone DCs if that's what they need to fit into their shops or if they need the portability, but it's important to acknowledge that there may be a performance difference, particularly relative to separation. More "stuff" gets to the filters, in other words.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I live in AK. I could possibly make an exterior area for the unit but that would add into my cost significantly I think. I should have also stated that I am just a hobby guy and would rarely ever have more than one machine going at once. Other reasoning for the two machines listed is because I have access to those lines very easily through a local store. Portability is something to consider also. I do like the idea of it being portable but I could incorporate a stationary design. I'm still laying out the details and am a few months away just trying to do some leg work. Thanks for the replies everyone!

After doing more research. I have really been looking into clearvue and oneida. Does anyone have opinions on which they like better? I'm leaning towards the clearvue but kind of wanted some opinions of others if they have used these two. I do like that I can get the ductwork from oneida but haven't really looked here locally to see if its around town.

I bought a CV-Max but still have to set it up. A turner in the area got a Oneida 3 hp unit and followed their duct plans. He isn't impressed with the performance. Easy to see why. His lathe has a 6" but everything else is branched down to 4" so it doesn't provide the airflow the machines need. Go with a 5hp unit from your chosen supplier and run 6" to the machines and open their ports to 6".

Since you are still researching look at the dust collection section the Aussie woodwork forum and Bill Pentz's site (the Clear-Vue's are based on his design).

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Caldwell View Post
    I'm leaning towards the clearvue but kind of wanted some opinions of others if they have used these two.
    Zachary, I have the Clear Vue CV1800 with the 16-inch impeller upgrade and could not be happier with its capabilities for a single person shop. One thing I've liked about it is the ability to use 6" PVC sewer and drain pipe and fittings throughout (D2729 or SDR 35). I sourced the straight pipe locally and purchased my fittings (Genova brand) online from Zoro.com. I also really appreciated the flexibility the Clear Vue provided in being able to fit it into my low ceiling basement shop and then running insulated 10" flex duct to to the filters to provide noise reduction. Clear Vue provided excellent consultative support by phone throughout my installation decision-making process. I can't personally compare to the Oneida solutions.
    Last edited by Rush Paul; 08-08-2018 at 1:21 PM.

You are not the first that I have heard this from. I'll check that out.
    Thanks!

This is the exact model that I planned to go with and then started looking at Oneida. Only thing is I was looking at using metal piping rather than PVC. Have you had any issues with your setup? I really have been impressed with clearvue's customer service thus far also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush Paul View Post
    Zachary, I have the Clear Vue CV1800 with the 16-inch impeller upgrade and could not be happier with its capabilities for a single person shop. One thing I've liked about it is the ability to use 6" PVC sewer and drain pipe and fittings throughout (D2729 or SDR 35). I sourced the straight pipe locally and purchased my fittings (Genova brand) online from Zoro.com. I also really appreciated the flexibility the Clear Vue provided in being able to fit it into my low ceiling basement shop and then running insulated 10" flex duct to to the filters to provide noise reduction. Clear Vue provided excellent consultative support by phone throughout my installation decision-making process. I can't personally compare to the Oneida solutions.

I don't have any experience with DCs of this size but I will comment on metal versus PVC piping. There are myths going around that you have to ground DC piping to prevent an explosion. That is, as I said, a myth. But you cannot get the right dust concentration in a DC and it's piping. So which piping to use is just a cost/convenience thing. PVC is easier to work with and may or may not cost less in 6 inch. But it may be a special order item with 6 inch metal pipe locally available. Personally, I will probably always use PVC. The concern about PVC might or might not affect your decision but I think it should not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Caldwell View Post
    Only thing is I was looking at using metal piping rather than PVC. Have you had any issues with your setup?
    Not a bit of trouble with the 6" D2729 S&D PVC I've used. Bill Pentz recommends it and I've found it more than satisfactory.